headphones for workouts
Sep 4, 2008 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Falcon

New Head-Fier
Hey there,
I am looking to get a set of headphones for my girlfriend. She uses them in the gym mostly. Therefore the quality of the sound itself is not as important. But she dislikes in ear monitors and common earbuds are not an option, because of the sweat.
I took a look at the Sony Active series and found a sports series by Sennheiser as well.

Sony MDR AS20J: MDR-AS20J | Active Style Headphones | Sony | SonyStyle USA
Sennheiser OMX 80 Sport 2: Sennheiser Electronic - OMX 80 Sport II

Can you recommend one of those or even name some other meeting the requirements?

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #2 of 13
I haven't tried the sport II's, but the sport I's tend to fall out of one of my ears (I have a pair of OMX90's). YMMV of course. Others have said it's perfect.

Koss KSC75's may also be a good option.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Sennheiser CX200, or something along those lines?

Just get something cheap and lightweight. The last thing you want is big headphones when running on the treadmill. However, you do want some isolation so you're not having to crank the volume up a lot and damage your hearing.

I used my SF5pros at the gym a couple of times when I forgot to bring my old sonys, and if the cord was a bit longer they'd be perfect.

Sep 6, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 13
You never mentioned budget! It's kind of a critical piece of data. (I'm looking for a car for my GF...)

Why is sound quality unimportant @ the gym? If hers is anything like mine, sound ISOLATION is very important. I usually run my ipod at twice my normal volume at the gym.

My earbuds work fine with the sweat, but on/over the ears were terrible. I used some Sony sport buds, but the sound and comfort were lacking. I'm going with LW for custom fit, great sound isolation, sweat resistance and fantastic sound. As a gift, they're very personal because nobody else can use them.
smile_phones.gif

If you're thinking about Sennheiser products, you may want to check out this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/th...t-read-312239/

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 13
The Sennheiser OMX 50 VC are really nice-I like the flexible earclip thatc an be adjusted to suit your ears.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sennheiser OMX 80 Sport 2: Sennheiser Electronic - OMX 80 Sport II

Very interesting. I think you just discovered for us Sennheiser's newest models. Thanks!

Anyway, for your girlfriend, I would recommend either the Sennheiser OMX or the Koss KSC75. However, I should warn you that I once tried the OMX90 (the non-sweat-resistant Style version), and the buds just wouldn't stay in place, but she might have better luck. Needless to say, I'll probably put the OMX90s up for sale here shortly.
tongue.gif

P.S. Welcome to Head-Fi!

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to get a set of headphones for my girlfriend. She uses them in the gym mostly. Therefore the quality of the sound itself is not as important. But she dislikes in ear monitors and common earbuds are not an option, because of the sweat.

Can you recommend one of those or even name some other meeting the requirements?

Why does she not like IEMs? If it's a comfort issue then I can see her concern. Of course that all changed for me when I bought my Shure SE530s. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you drop $300+ on a set of these for the gym, but they did bring something 'new' to the IEM table.

The new 'olive' foamies that came with the SE530 (and most of the newer SE series) are a treat! I have used my SE530s in the gym though I admit to not getting a great workout when I do. I spend a little too much time zoning out to the music because of the fantastic isolation. And of course I'm a little cautious about my activities, not wanting to damage the SE530s.

My alternative: use the olive foamies with my older e3c set for the gym! Great comfort, isolation and of course, they're relatively inexpensive when compared to the SE530s. I've read posts from others who have used the Shure 'olives' on other IEMs as well, but the Shure SE and some of the older eXc series fit really nice.

Oh, the other plus about the olives: they're washable so you can sweat it up during your workout and then remove the foamies back at home, rinse them and dry and them and you're ready for the next trip to the gym, beach or where ever your music goes with you.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can buy the replacement olives from Shure and their dealers:

Shure * - Product Information

Now that I've wasted your time, hopefully IEMs weren't entirely out of the question!
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 13
The OMX 50 that I bought came with a set of rubber pieces that goes on the earbud for a stable fit-does the 80/90 have it as well?

Sep 6, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by babya /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OMX 50 that I bought came with a set of rubber pieces that goes on the earbud for a stable fit-does the 80/90 have it as well?

Yes, the 90 does. Didn't make a difference for me though.

Sep 6, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by babya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the 90 does. Didn't make a difference for me though.

I think the main reason why the OMX90 didn't fit snugly is because the shape of the ear clip doesn't allow for it, at least my ears. For me, the OMX90's earbud just sits right in front of the ear instead of behind the tragus (the "flap"), like earbuds should. The OMX50, 60, and 80 seem to use a much better ear clip design that seems to more closely "hug" the back of the ear, which hopefully allows for a better fit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the twist-and-fit thing?

I think babya was referring to the little rubber pieces that fit on the bud itself. There is one piece that acts sort of like a canalphone tip, which keeps the bud in place and provides very minimal isolation.

As for the twist-to-fit, I find it better than the clip style earbuds, even though some people may find the TTF somewhat uncomfortable at first. Therefore, I'll also recommend the MX75/MX85.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back