Headphones for Virtual Surround
Feb 25, 2005 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

paspro

100+ Head-Fier
There is hardware and software capable of creating virtual surround sound (e.g. Dolby Headphone) for headphones using of a 5.1 digital source. Which headphones do you think are ideal for this application, in the sense that they can create a better impression of sound coming from various virtual directions?

Feb 25, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 3
IMO, neither, but for movies I'd guess that multiple driver headphones will be better. Make sure you get a good set though, because it sounds like they range from appalling (Zalmans are supposedly in this category) to excellent (LTB have had a good review on this site, but I'd get lots of opinions first)

Feb 25, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by paspro
There is hardware and software capable of creating virtual surround sound (e.g. Dolby Headphone) for headphones using of a 5.1 digital source. Which headphones do you think are ideal for this application, in the sense that they can create a better impression of sound coming from various virtual directions?

I own both the Sennheiser DSP Pro and Philips SBC HP1500 hardware solutions.

The Sennheiser does not come with headphones but, not surprisingly, Sennheiser cans are recommended! I have tried a number of different models but find the HD565, HD580 or HD600 give the best results. These headphones have a broadly similar sound: the critical factor seems to be extended treble within an overall balanced response. This model does not decode Dolby Digital -- just Pro Logic.

The Philips comes with Philips HP1000 headphones, so one could guess that the hardware has been "tuned" to suit them. I have not tried any other headphones with this system as yet. The HP1000 has a "darker" sound than the Sennheiser HD565/580/600 but it's still pretty well balanced across the spectrum.

I have found that both systems are quite good at simulating the surround channels but don't do as well with the center front. If you imagine the soundfield as a spherical bubble around your head, you seem to be sitting close to the front of it, rather than in the center. I therefore suspect that certain models from Ultrasone (notably the HFI-700 DVD) and Sennheiser (the HD555 and HD595), which have angled drivers and claim to project a more realistic soundfield in front you, might help to put you closer to the center of the "bubble". I plan to try out these cans in the coming weeks and will report back to this thread (provided it hasn't drifted off course before then
blink.gif
).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back