Headphones for under $500 for varied use?
Jan 16, 2023 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SRCP

New Head-Fier
I've never owned headphones that cost over $30-40. I currently use the Audio Technica ATH-M30. I am looking to get some really good headphones for the first time. I would use them for everything, movies, gaming (ps5, PC, switch), music, audiobooks.

Any recommendations? I want to use them with my phone as well, which does not have a headphone jack. I am using the Apple USBC to 3.5mm adapter. Any audio quality problems when using these adapters?

Also, I'd like to use them in the office too but let me know if this limits my options. If it does I'd rather just use different headphones in the office (note: I'm not sitting super close to other people)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 4
If your using a low power dongle I'd keep it to something efficient so you can get good volume levels on limited power. I'd pick from the Audio Technica ada1000x, Hifiman he400i, or the AKG K371Pro for closed back design with privacy.
For wireless my favorite is the Bowers & Wilkins px7 carbon edition. Can't go wrong with any of those. All will work well without an amplifier.

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Generally if you're around people or others will pass where you work, you'd want a closed back headphone.

If it's something you'll listen to while commuting, it should also be closed.

Downsides are the soundstage can be narrow, you lose a lot of situational awareness not being able to hear your environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back