Headphones for Travel/Office
Dec 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Anomaly10

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm sure this question gets asked far too much, but what are good entry to mid-level (150ish top budget) headphones for a traveler? My job takes me out on a plane and to various hotel rooms about half of any given month, and I'm really not comfortable dragging my nicer headphones through airports and subjecting them to that kind of wear and tear. 

From what I've seen, the M50s are actually a fairly decent fit for me in terms of sound, but I want to hear from some people who own them about how they would hold up with heavy travel - that means they will probably spend a fair amount of time shoved into a backpack with a laptop and some books, and generally not taken care of as much as I would like to. Would they hold up to that kind of wear and tear for at least a year or two? If not, does anyone have other reccomendations for over-ear headphones that might work? For reference, some other headphones that I've previously owned and liked are Klipsch X10 (IEMs), and Ultrasone HFI-580s. I listen to a lot of alt-rock, as well as a fair bit of electro, but sometimes I'll stray into classic rock or even instrumental pieces, so I'm really just looking for something with a fun, warm sound. 

Thanks for the help!

Edit - Oh, some other background: These would be used mostly unamped, or at most with a Fiio E5, so I'm looking mainly for cans that work well out of unamped sources. Reference sounds just so that people who have similar taste might chip in - The Hush Sound, Arctic Monkeys, Chilli Peppers, The Glitch Mob, AWOLNATION, Hans Zimmer stuff

Dec 26, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 2
I'll leave the actual headphone recommendations to other, but I can recommend a way to store them. Just browse any regular retail store like Wal-Mart for some tupperware dishes, and find one that would fit your specific set of headphones. (Though if you got a bigger size you could fit whatever you'd like) If you're still scared of wrecking them, you could pad it with something as simple as some winter clothing or a small towel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back