Headphones for trance?
Aug 3, 2006 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

eladioc

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I need a little help finding out what are some good headphones for trance music. I have e4's for when I go out and SR-60s for when I am at home. Although I love them, I'm looking to upgrade the SR-60s. I was thinking of getting a pair of AKG K81 DJs and something else... maybe along the lines of SR-225s? AKG K701? Not sure at all. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 3, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 31
It depends if you want soundstage or not, IMO. If you like the intamacy of the Grados, get a 225 or 235i. If you want soundstage, I like my K340 for trance music.

The problem with the AKG, is the need for a BEEFY amp, and if you get the wrong version, the bass will be a little lacking. See if you can buy from a user who know they have the bass heavy version.

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 31
After reading another thread I'm considering DT-990's ($164) or DT-770/80's ($135?)... the more money I can save, the better, but what do you guys think? I'll be using a cMoy amp for the time being... I'm looking into a little dot micro+, PA2v2, or maybe something else? Preferably small and portable, but also diesel enough to use at home. Recommendations there would be appreciated too.

Aug 3, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce
Trance? That would definitely be the SA5000.

yea, sony.
sony is great for trance. sony's have a hmmmm... bass on high and low.

MDR-V700DJ,MDR-SA5000,MDR-SA3000,MDR-SA1000,MDR-V600

I have a koss pro4aat, the Titanium is good techon and trance and acid.

Very clear.. with my pro4aat i can hear everthing.

PRO4AAT or pro3aa

the koss mv1 looks to be the best for trance!!!

yea, I had a cheap akg, mine were VERY VERY BAD TRANCE. (K 26 P)

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 31
Sony has a distinct sound that's difficult to describe. Very, very detailed, because of some type of coloration that covers the entire frequency spectrum. It's really fantastic for this type of music. There are some good reviews, which I generally agree with, at www.headphonereviews.org. Some knowledgeable head-fiers have posted reviews on them. There's a link to the SA5000's review page in my ad for the SA5000.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 31
Electrostatics do trance very well. The Stax SR-003, Lambda Pro, and SR-X and suitable amp can all be found for around the same price as the SA5000 and K701.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbloudg20
I'm still sticking with my reccomendatino of the AKG K240s. It can be had for about $90.

Oh, the K240... I was looking for 340's... I thought those were what you recommended before...

Right now, if I can get *comparable* sound (read: good enough for casual listening) for ~$90, I would rather go that route vs. spending ~$300.

What are electrostatics anyway?

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by eladioc
What are electrostatics anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_loudspeaker

Rather than using a small speaker cone driven by magnets and a coil of wire, it uses a flat diaphram moved by high voltage feed to plates on either side of the diaphram. It's a faster and more controlled way of making sound.

Quote:

They require a hefty, expensive amp.

No they don't. The SRM-252 is pretty small and cheap.

Aug 3, 2006 at 5:50 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

I stand corrected. I just figured most electrostatic amps were big and expensive because of the amount of voltage electrostats require.

~200Vac isn't much in the scheme of things.

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Electrostatics do trance very well. The Stax SR-003, Lambda Pro, and SR-X and suitable amp can all be found for around the same price as the SA5000 and K701.

From what I've heard, electostatics tend to be a bit lacking in bass, which would seem to make them kind of lackluster for any kind of dance music.

Has that not been your experience?

Sep 14, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut
From what I've heard, electostatics tend to be a bit lacking in bass, which would seem to make them kind of lackluster for any kind of dance music.

Has that not been your experience?

Absolutely catagorically untrue. A Myth perpetuated by the dynamic only troupe to try and justify their bias.

Theres definately a difference in bass presentation. But it certianly is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back