Headphones for the visually impaired.
Aug 4, 2015 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

voxie

500+ Head-Fier
This is not a sad story......My brother in law lost his sight  5 years ago. This guy loves music, asked me could i find him a set of headphones and music player that would be easy to use due to his situation. His biggest prob was trying to locate the "left and right" earcup on his headphones. By chance i had the Senns momentum on-ears which have  3 dots, like brail on the metal part of the headphone. So it got me thinking, why are they not more companies doing this? BTW i also gave him my ipod classic loaded with his favorite music and he loves it. Keep it simple makes sense!!

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 7
  This is not a sad story......My brother in law lost his sight  5 years ago. This guy loves music, asked me could i find him a set of headphones and music player that would be easy to use due to his situation. His biggest prob was trying to locate the "left and right" earcup on his headphones. By chance i had the Senns momentum on-ears which have  3 dots, like brail on the metal part of the headphone. So it got me thinking, why are they not more companies doing this? BTW i also gave him my ipod classic loaded with his favorite music and he loves it. Keep it simple makes sense!!

i don't know about headphones ,but iem-wise the ortofon eq7 has a slight dot at the left earpiece to tell left/right so it could fit your brother

nice-sounding iems btw and not too expensive - i just sold mine today , keep an eye here for them if you are looking for iems (or i can let you know the name of the seller in case he decides to sell them)

good luck
beerchug.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #6 of 7
All of the IEMs mentioned are all pretty good. So, don't take the following the wrong way....

I would not buy ANY of those...nor any other IEM, for that matter....based solely upon any pseudo-braille markings they might have.  Buy the 'phones that you (or they) like the sound of the best.  It is simple enough to wrap a piece of tape or attach a small nylon tie-wrap or some such on the cable of either the left or right side.  Anything of this sort should be all the indication anyone should need to tell right from left.

As for a sightless DAP.....I would think that would be a bit trickier.  Especially, if the sightless owner wants to add and delete their own tracks on it.  If they are willing to turn to a sighted person for data-duties...then things get a bit easier.  But not much.  Any DAP which does not necessarily depend upon a touch screen would be roughly the same level of complexity to operate once they are loaded. This, of course, leaves the iPod Touch out...as well as most of the A&K's.  Bit there are plenty of good ones out there which don't REQUIRE touch screen access.  X5's come directly to mind....but there are a great many others as well.

.....sT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back