Headphones for the poor college student.
Oct 7, 2007 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

JonnyBoy

Head-Fier
My budget is around 50 dollars, give or take a bit.

I listen to a lot of mp3s (heresy, I know), most of them encoded in variable bitrate. I have a roommate who listens to crappy music, so I want to be able to basically disassociate myself from his crappy musical realm, and have my own quiet music listening experience. I prefer over ear. Also, since I'm a student these may take a bit of abuse, so construction is a bit of a concern, and comfort is pretty big too.

I listen to:

Shoegaze
Alternative/indie rock
Alt-Country
A bit of rap (Wu-Tang Clan)
Noise Rock

You get the gist. Any help is really appreciated.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 32
Eat nothing but ramen for a while, sell blood if necessary to extend that budget to $70, and buy the Grado SR-60. They can take some abuse, and superglue easily solves many problems that may arise with abuse :p. However, since the SR-60 is an open headphone, it may not be enough to remove you from your roommate's crappy musical realm. Perhaps an IEM such as the Crossroads Mylarone X3 or XB would work better.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eat nothing but ramen for a while, sell blood if necessary to extend that budget to $70, and buy the Grado SR-60. They can take some abuse, and superglue easily solves many problems that may arise with abuse :p. However, since the SR-60 is an open headphone, it may not be enough to remove you from your roommate's crappy musical realm. Perhaps an IEM such as the Crossroads Mylarone X3 or XB would work better.

biggrin.gif

I already have a 40 pack of ramen, so I'm set.

I can adjust my budget that high, but was really hoping for some more noise canceling. What about the sennheisers in that range?

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 32
Noise canceling is generally not worth what you pay for it.

CLOSED headphones on the other hand are a different bag. I've had a lot of luck with AKG k81DJs... I'd look at them in your current budget. They don't leak much either in or out and with some finagling you can adjust their sonic quality and fit to your liking.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 32
Well, the Crossroads Mylarone X3 or XB I mentioned are definitely gonna give isolation, since they insert into your ear canals like earplugs. A closed headphone will also give good isolation. The AKG k26p seems to be a highly regarded closed budget phone around these parts (though I must admit, I've never heard one :p). At around $40, it definitely falls under your budget price, so you get to have more culinary variety and keep your blood
biggrin.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 32
Hahaha, okay then, I've decided I want the closed headphones from your suggestions. The Grados look really really cool, so I'm definitely going to consider them. Otherwise, if I could get a decent closed set for under 80, I'd consider those moreso than the ones under my budget. I'm looking to keep these for awhile.

Blood and food are both overrated anyhow.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 32
i love my sr-60's, and i think the ms-1's would be worth it. However. if you value isolation at all, get a closed phone. Grado/alessandro phones leak sound in and out a TON.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #12 of 32
Grados are open headphones. Don't block any noise

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 32
my roommate gets annoyed when i wear my grados in the room because they make so much noise. I have to switch to my dt770's so it doesnt bother him.

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 32
Hmmm. Well, I'm still keeping the Grados in the back of my mind, because of the price. The HD280s look pretty awesome, but I'm not sure if I can shell out 100. Any place that sells em' cheaper?

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #15 of 32
Surprise no one's suggested the KSC75 yet. They're clip-on headphones that can be had for around $15. You won't find a better deal anywhere else. The sound is often described as MS-1 lite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back