Headphones For The Gym
Mar 7, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

kimokalihi

New Head-Fier
I've been going to the gym for nearly 4 months now. They've got the same damn music playing since I started. Wouldn't be so bad I guess except that not only is a lot of it the same as they play at my job but it's pure crap. There is 2 songs I like. A foo fighters song and a Jimmy Eat World song. Half the time I'm there I don't hear either of those songs.

So I decided to by myself an iPod Touch. Was gonna get a different one but then I though it would be cool to watch movies on if I was on a trip or bored somewhere and there's tons of games for them. So I bought a used 16GB 2nd gen Touch for $225 shipped. Saved $50 plus shipping and it's supposed to be in excellent condition.

Now I need to find some headphones that are suitable for working out with. Anybody have any suggestions? I want something that'll get low and obviously sound great. At the same time they've got to be lightweight and comfortable and stay put.

I'm pretty sure I don't like the ones that come with the iPods. Plus they always blow after a while. They're not very comfortable either.

I bought a pair of these last year and they did not have nearly enough low end in them. They were kind of a pain in the ass to use too due to having to get them to seal properly for the sound to sound right. I don't want to be messing with these all the time while I'm working out.

ETYMOTIC ER6i ER-6i

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #2 of 104
I go jogging with Phonak Audeo PFEs. They have over ear silicon guides, are light and comfy, and stay put meaning that the seal doesnt break. Will cost you around $140, great IEMs, however they could be out of your price range. How much are you willing to pay?

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 104
Yeah that's quite a bit more than I had in mind. I'll take a look at them and maybe I could get a used pair somewhere or something? Is it a good idea to buy used headphones? I'm coming here from diymobileaudio car audio forum and I buy almost all my audio gear used there. That way when I sell it as long as it's in the same condition I bought it, it usually sells for about the same as I bought it since it's already depreciated.

I was thinking more like $20-$75. Someone from the car audio forum suggested I get the Koss KSC75 headphones. They look really cheap but got really good reviews on this forum and they're only about $15 plus shipping so I guess that couldn't hurt to try.

Mar 7, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 104
I'd suggest some good "sport" earphones. I have an impression that getting IEMs sweaty is pretty easy in the gym - I'd never take my 5Pro's there. Moreover - while working out you do not pay THAT much attention to SQ.

I had your dillema about 3 months ago. I was thinking about some IEMs but ended up with Sennheiser PMX80 - great for their price. Pretty nice isolation for earbuds, nice sound and there is no chance they will fall out of your ear.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 104
After trying earbuds, canalphones, and even small supra-aurals, I've landed with ER-6i as my gym headphones. Isolates like magic, won't budge in the ear, and the clip is super-useful.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 104
My gym rig is iTouch+SE530. Damn good
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After trying earbuds, canalphones, and even small supra-aurals, I've landed with ER-6i as my gym headphones. Isolates like magic, won't budge in the ear, and the clip is super-useful.

x2 i use my spare ER-6i for that purpose.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #9 of 104
ER-6i is a good recommendation, or possibly the Nuforce NE-7M.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #10 of 104
Is there a store near Olympia, WA that has a decent selection of headphones I could listen to before I buy? I bought those Er-6i and didn't like them. They didn't have enough low end and I want something I can just put on or in and not have to keep messing with them to get them to seal right.

Somebody on the other forum suggested these. That looks like what I was looking for. Looks easy to insert and he said they get pretty low and block out a good amount of noise. Said he uses them on his motorcycle and at 70mph he doesn't have to crank them up too high.

$30 on amazon.com. Just about right. What do you guys think?

Sennheiser CX300

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 104
The CX300's? They're fair for the price, but has muddy bass, which is all over the place (it probs won't matter too much, since you're exercising
biggrin.gif
)... so you want to switch from the ety's to the cx300?

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cx380

If you are planning on getting CX300, you may want to take a closer look at the ones Mark mentioned above. Sennheiser CX380.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daeregaol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CX300's? They're fair for the price, but has muddy bass, which is all over the place (it probs won't matter too much, since you're exercising
biggrin.gif
)... so you want to switch from the ety's to the cx300?

I sold them already for about half the price I paid for them not long after I bought them. The guy said they were detailed but also said they lacked bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back