Headphones for the bass inclined
Jan 18, 2008 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Shrike1201

New Head-Fier
Hi, all. The left channel of my e2c's started cutting in and out on me recently. I think I've had enough of trying to position my head in a way that gives me the longest time between skips so I am looking for a new set of cans. This is where you guys come in
biggrin.gif

I liked my e2c's, they were sufficient, however, I feel that something was lacking. I'm looking for something that has more punch. I want bass, but not the boomy, clouds the music, sounds like nasal congestion in your ears, kind of bass. It has to be something deep but tight and responsive. High's on the e2c were good for me as they could get into the pretty high range but didn't feel like my ears were being pierced. The mid's are there but not as prominent as I'd like.

I listen to all types of music but I am mostly inclined to music with bass.
I'm looking for something in the range of about $200US or perhaps a little higher if you can convince me that I MUST have it
tongue.gif

Can anyone recommend headphones that sound like what I described? I'd prefer them not to be the IEM or canalphone variety because I'd like to try something different.

EDIT:
Please tell me if the headphones you recommend require an amp or not. Thanks guys.

Jan 18, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 15
The first thing that comes to mind is the Beyer Dt770. BUT, the mids are kind of recessed, and while it does not need an amp, it will get better if you add one to the chain.

Might i as what kind of music you like?

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 15
I would suggest denon d2000s. They're excellent cans, all around they do very well but in my opinion bass is what sets them apart from others in that price range - very responsive and not loose at all. I believe they go for a little over $200 used.

Second suggestion would be beyer dt770s, if bass is what you're looking for this is definately it. I'd consider them more of a "fun" set of cans than the all around solution like the d2000s (of course I might be alone in considering d2000 good all around cans). Not sure the used price on these, might check the FS section.

Both are in the 80 ohm range, so they wouldnt require an amp but will benifit from one.

Also, what are you using as a source? Because you might consider upgrading your dac to get the full benefit of the d2000s, not sure about the dt770s.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 15
DT770/80 has the bass but I think it's a little muddy. Also mids (and treble) are a little lacking.

Check out the SR225, they sound amazing. After breaking in, the highs are nice and smooth and the bass is very full and not muddy at all.

SR225 impedance is 32 ohms, so no amp is necessary. But, like with most headphones, an amp will help.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 15
hd600/650 springs to mind, not too much over your budget if you can find a good deal, if this helps they are the identical sounding over head brother of the shure se530's, and that cant be bad at all coming from the shure e2c eh!?

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 15
For Portable the Yuin PK-1 earbud amped and PK-2 unamped.

For full size I have seen people go for the aforementioned Dt770s.

Street style, Koss Porta-Pro is popular with people who like hip-hop and a notch above that the AKG K 181 DJ.

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 15
DT770/80s definitely if you love bass, particularly if you're on the go. If you plan mostly home listening, I also like the DT990/250s. They're lighter on the bass because they're open, but it's much more precise than the DT770/80s.

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 15
I was using e3c's with my Sony nwz-a8 and found to be an unhappy relationship. Lacked the range of bass I was looking for and I am not a fan of iems. My requirements were comfort (I use them eight plus hours a day), isolation (work in a noisy environment), near reference quality for accuracy and price because I do not make the money a true audiophile requires. I decided to try HD25 -1s. They seem to fit the bill and I found a good deal from a member of the forums. When they arrive I will give you my impression after a few days of burn in.

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 15
If you want to go an inexpensive route go with Senn PX-100. They can be had for under $50 from Amazon. You can then have $150 to spend on an amp if you wish. For $50 you should be satisfied for a while and you will have a nice set of portables once you want to get better home cans. I had the E2C and can say with certainty you will like the sond of the PX-100.

Jan 19, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for for the replies guys.

TJ, I've heard the PX-100's a while ago before and I did like the way they sounded so the decision I made was to buy them in addition to whatever I was going to get now. Heh heh.

How would the HD-5(X)5 or SR80 fare compared to the suggestions given?

Jan 19, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find a pair of used Ultrasone Proline 750. Excellent bass, crystalline midrange and extended highs. : )

I found the exact opposite to be true with those and Bass,but the mids and highs were clear and clean.

DT250'80'S,closed,great bass,not muddy,and over powering,and good highs and mids.

Mar 17, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #14 of 15
same thing happened to my e2's. stupid things through no fault of my own
rolleyes.gif
decided to deprive my left ear of music. Was a gradual decline in volume till there was next to nothing left. got a set of e4's with pleasing results, although a fair jump up. 100's go well also

Users who are viewing this thread

Back