Headphones for studio monitoring
Oct 23, 2012 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

frog

New Head-Fier
I am not sure if I can get what I want at a price I can afford but here goes anyway :)

Looking for a set of headphones i can use on my laptop for music production and also in the studio for monitoring of live stuff through the desk.
Finally i would like them to be also ok for front of house live monitoring again through the desk. I have been looking at a pair of Beyer DT770 pro ltd editions (32ohm ones), at £170 uk they are right at the top of my budget.
At the moment i use either my Beyer dt231's or UE superfi 5 pros on the laptop and the UE's on the desk.

Sean

Oct 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 7
For music production you want something that has an accurate/'flat' frequency response.
So, X2 for the dt250, but try to get the 250ohm version. I had the 80ohm which I liked a lot, but the 250ohm version FWIR is even more neutral with better highs. FWIR, the k271/272 is pretty light in the low end, so I'd go with the beyers if it were me....more accurate low end. I also like the Sony v900/7509, but prefer the Beyer... going from memory only. I sold mine over a year ago. 

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the advice guys, I must say I was leaning towards the ltd edition dt770 pros because i thought my laptop would be able to drive them better. Do you think it would be able to drive the 250ohm dt250's OK or am i asking a little too much.

thanks again
Sean

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 7
DT770 variants have a V-shaped skew. Hardly neutral by any means, though it does isolate fairly decently.

The DT250-250 should be fine from a laptop, though it's sonics are an unknown to mine own ears.

I don't recall the bass extension being terribly impressive, but the Senn HD280 was alright.

Oct 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
DT770 variants have a V-shaped skew. Hardly neutral by any means, though it does isolate fairly decently.

The DT250-250 should be fine from a laptop, though it's sonics are an unknown to mine own ears.

I don't recall the bass extension being terribly impressive, but the Senn HD280 was alright.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, I must say I was leaning towards the ltd edition dt770 pros because i thought my laptop would be able to drive them better. Do you think it would be able to drive the 250ohm dt250's OK or am i asking a little too much.

thanks again
Sean

For music production it's the dt250 you want over the 770. I agree with briskly, FWIR the 770 isn't really flat/neutral enough, especially the lower impedance versions. I had the dt250/80ohm and it compared favorably to the k240DF which is considered to be very flat/neutral. I also read that the 250ohm version isn't very power hungry, but you could post a question on the dt250 appreciation thread about that. As far as bass extension goes, you're not going to find a phone that's perfect for under $200. If your budget allows it the GMP 8.35 might be the way to go, but they go for $250 last time I checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back