Headphones for Studio Monitoring / Mixing
Mar 19, 2008 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

being an amateur musician (and a head-fi as well as gearslutz member), I am looking at getting a new set of cans for music-making. Currently, I use an Apogee Duet for my recording interface (as well as for the headphone amp). And I'm using Sony 7506's right now, but they're pretty beat up. I've heard good things from musicians regarding Ultrasone's--the thing is, they have so many choices in the same price ballpark, it's confusing me. For monitoring, a closed-back headphone would be a requirement, since I can't have any sound bleeding into the microphone. For mixing, however, its a different story, because I'm looking for accuracy just as much as musicality. And both of my previous high end cans, the HD650 and the RS-1, were open-backed.

Ultrasone Pro 750's seem popular with recording engineers, as well as the HFI 780's.

Any of you head-fi'ers also make music? I'd really appreciate suggestions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 6
You might consider IEMs like the ultimate ears UE-5 Pro. Also being a musician, you'll find many gigs where you need IEMs. Most touring performers now use them. I find it helpful to practice with them as well as it takes a little getting used to. We use a Shure wireless monitor system and I chose the UE-5's for my personal monitors.
I like to use the same monitor system for recording and for playing live.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 6
I don't make music, so take my recommendation with that in mind. The Equation RP21 are made for mastering, at least according to Equation. I don't know if anyone hear has used them for that. I'm planning in the near future to start converting some of my LPs to digital and using them, or the AKG K240M, for the mastering process. You can get the K240M for reasonable prices on eBay, but they're vintage, and 600 ohm. I don't know anything about the Apogee Duet, so I don't know if it could drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back