Headphones for sound design, music production and mixing for 500 euros?
Apr 17, 2020 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Oculomotorius

New Head-Fier
Hello, everyone! I would appreciate it if you can help me find good enough headphones for my needs and for the money.

(Please!)

I’ve been using Audio-Technica ATH-M50 headphones (not the later X model) for a couple of yrs now and I’d like to upgrade. So far I like what I've read about Sennheiser HD660S and Neumann NDH 20 the most in the price range of around 500 euros. The Beyerdynamic DT1990 apparently have overly emphasized highs, so I don't know about them.
(HD600 and 650 are out based on reviews but I may be wrong of course)

I was planning to buy open-back designed headphones this time but the NDH 20s seems like a possibly good choice too.
(open-back because everybody on Gearslutz thinks that it's wrong to mix on closed-back hp. Gearslutz didn't help me much btw)

I also have Neumann KH120A speakers that I like a lot but atm I'm forced to work in a small untreated room so good headphones are crucial atm.

I produce and mix mostly my own music - non-danceable electronic music (from musique concrete and electroacoustic music to ambient and IDM, sometimes even quasi symphonic). No EDM, no house or techno or similar, so I guess the sub-bass region is important but not crucial.

Even though I work with synthetic sounds most of the time I like to make them sound ‘real’. So what matters is a good resolution, well-defined mids and truthful timbre reproduction. (heh... writing this i see that I'll need to spend much more than 500 euros :)

Thank you!

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 15
What sources or DAC/amp or other, will you be plugging the headphones into?
My two cents,
End user/Fiesta (enjoyable) headphones might add a biased, into your audio
Get boring studio monitoring headphones, like the Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-V7506 headphones (both closed)
Do your audio production (creating, mixing, editing, etc) with the V6 or V7506, for analyzing the audio.
Then have a second (much higher priced) headphone, more of the end user or fiesta type headphone, to see how enjoyable the audio is.

Apr 18, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #5 of 15
If you don't want the Sony's, you can go higher with a used pair of Pioneer SE-Monitor 5 (closed back).
Very clear, clean and, for a closed back, wide sounding mixing/mastering headphone. :wink:

Love mine in contrast to the PM-3, Era-1 and even the T1.
For me, the best to look into the music, while the others are for pure enjoyment and fun.

But @PurpleAngel is on point with the well known Sonys, as usual. :wink:

Apr 18, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 15
I would suggest Audio Technica r70x and a good ss amp. You've got a big impressions thread here on head-fi, gearslutz is an option too.

And if you are determined to max your budget Focal Elex is great and there is one on FS forums.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 15
And almost forgot, Verum one is one heck of 'phone, nicely balanced with deep ortho non-emphasized bass. I have one for sale so you could say I'm biased, but you should seriously consider one, even new.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 15
Apr 18, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 15
You’re right! I just saw it!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-ft-drop-x-focal-elex-great-condition-rarely-used-eu.929663/

Would these be better for sound design and mixing than Neumanns?

the problem is no warranty! If id buy Neumanns at Thomann id get 3 yrs of warranty.

I get it , you own Neumanns monitors which are great and now you've rather go that path. But the truth is that Adam, Neumann and other saw growing headphone market and said, we want a bit of that pie by rebranding
other headphones ( Ultrasone for Adam and Sennheiser for Neumann ) cobined with brand loyality, aaaand we've got a home run.

Go for the Elex, pay with PP ( buyer protection ) don't be a cheapskate and don't look back.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 15
Since the drop is not officially selling them in Europe if you bought them new your warranty would not be valid. Even if you can't find it, I'm sure the warranty is minimum one year, but in your case not valid as I've said. Now you can buy Elear and get the Elex pads which can appear on drop, which I did. Another option is Elear with Clear pads but beware those clear pads get dirty fast and there is no help after that, washing or anything just plain stupid colouring scheme. Bottom line is that the only difference btw Elear and Elex are in the pads and black(er) chrome plastics on the cups.

And if you're set on warranty then buy what you can get with warranty. My experience with used headphones is good until now, knock in the wood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back