Headphones for small headed girl.
Jun 29, 2013 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yay101

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all! I am buying my girlfriend a decent headphone for home use, i have the ad700's and want something around the same quality/ price for her although she has a much smaller head than myself and the ad700's just don't fit (she likes the sound though, except she wants a bit more bass).

Must be:
Light
Fit's small head (JVC HAS400B on smallest setting is almost perfect, size and sound wise)
$150 max (120 max if you are from the US as i will probably have to pay more/ import anyway)

Thanks!

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 12
I need help with this as well. I am a tall female (5'9") but have a really small and narrow head. I have been looking to purchase my first pair of headphones (I can't stand putting things in my ear any longer so IEMs are out). I was originally looking at under $100 but after researching I don't think that is viable.

I need closed back, decent to good noise isolation (passive is fine), over ear, play off of iPod/computer (no addtl amp), good overall profile of sound (I'm no audiophile but I can still differentiate between bad, good and excellent quality of sound). I listen to everything from soft classical music while studying to Frank Sinatra to electronica/house/trance and would therefore like adequate bass and would be fine with something more skewed in that direction.

The problem is mainly my tiny head (and of course budget). I live in a smaller town so best buy is really the only place to try things on. For some reference: I tried on the Sony X series and they are far too big for me. The Bose QC fit better (which my bf has for work and he loves)

If I went WAY over budget I would love the Sennheiser Momentums (tried on and fit perfectly, great overall sound profile but a little light on the bass for me) or the V-moda m100 (the reviews make it sound like its perfect for me and sturdy as a plus... except for the price tag, but no store near me carries them for me to try). Can anyone comment on their overall fit? I've read a few things about pinching, so I was hopeful, but for the price they have to be perfect (their 60 day guarantee is a plus).

More in budget would be the good all arounder audio technica m50 - any comments on size?

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 12
Check into the Takstar Pro 80. They have been getting good reviews as headphones that should compete in SQ with something the M50s, and you can generally get them for under $100. And I'm not mistaken, people have said that they run a little small. Should be fine on fit for you.

There's a thread devoted to Takstar and Gemini headphones (some of the same models are released under both brand names) where you can research and ask questions about the sound and the sizing: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread

Aug 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 12
Takstar?  Senn HD 439's?  You gotta be kidding ... those are huge ...

Get her some V-Moda M-80's.  They're cool, they sound great with plenty of bass, they're small, have a cool case with accessories, and they're in your price range - $169 right now at Amazon.  Plus, you can design her something special and personal with the aluminum can caps if you want to spend a little extra.

P.S. I'd still have mine if they fit my big head - they don't.

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 12
I need help with this as well. I am a tall female (5'9") but have a really small and narrow head. I have been looking to purchase my first pair of headphones (I can't stand putting things in my ear any longer so IEMs are out). I was originally looking at under $100 but after researching I don't think that is viable.

I need closed back, decent to good noise isolation (passive is fine), over ear, play off of iPod/computer (no addtl amp), good overall profile of sound (I'm no audiophile but I can still differentiate between bad, good and excellent quality of sound). I listen to everything from soft classical music while studying to Frank Sinatra to electronica/house/trance and would therefore like adequate bass and would be fine with something more skewed in that direction.

The problem is mainly my tiny head (and of course budget). I live in a smaller town so best buy is really the only place to try things on. For some reference: I tried on the Sony X series and they are far too big for me. The Bose QC fit better (which my bf has for work and he loves)

If I went WAY over budget I would love the Sennheiser Momentums (tried on and fit perfectly, great overall sound profile but a little light on the bass for me) or the V-moda m100 (the reviews make it sound like its perfect for me and sturdy as a plus... except for the price tag, but no store near me carries them for me to try). Can anyone comment on their overall fit? I've read a few things about pinching, so I was hopeful, but for the price they have to be perfect (their 60 day guarantee is a plus).

More in budget would be the good all arounder audio technica m50 - any comments on size?

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hello!

Do make sure you look into Sennheiser HD439, and if the offer have not ended, an heard someone got UE6000 at $99.99 from Best Buy! It's an awesome deal and I highly suggest it at that price bracket for you!

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

thanks! havent looked into the JVCs... will do. Any comments on the m100s? I was hoping for an over the ear one

Honestly a really great can [that was WAY to small for my head] that sounded VERY nice and was DIRT cheap was the 

Koss Porta pro! Honestly I'd get one of those, till you can afford to start buying and sub sequently returning headphones to amazon for testing pourposes. But for $40 it's really a real bargin! And if your savy you can mod it and then it's just epic! 

Sadly I have a BIG head so I have no idea what would work for our smaller gal pals

I'll also say, as a male member here at head fi, I've noticed we have a little more girls joining this forum :D very cool don't cha think fella! And sorry ladies but head fi is a bit of a DUDE fest at the moment so not to many of us have experince with small'r headphones 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back