Headphones for Sleeping
Jan 23, 2006 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Dorfmeister

100+ Head-Fier
Every night when I go to bed I listen to either a hypnosis tape/cd or one of the hemi-sync tapes from the Monroe Institute.

I often will switch positions and lay in different positions on the pillow with my headphones on.

The best headphones comfort-wise I have found for this are the Koss UR-20. They are lightweight and stay on my head as I shift around. They also have very large well padded ear pieces which don't poke me and a single cord.

The problem with the UR-20's is that the sound is mediocre.

Is there a better phone that has similar build characteristics to the UR-20?

I have also tried using my HD-580's but they are not as comfortable for this purpose and have a cord coming from both sides of the ear-pieces that tangle.

I have tried my Shure E2c's for this purpose as well but they were quite uncomfortable and were very painful when I laid directly on them.

Any suggestions?

Jan 23, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 18
You should buy my CD-780s!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though -- they're pretty comfortable.

Jan 23, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 18
Hrm. No Audio-Technica will work for that at all, as the adjustment mechanism is strictly for vertical use. Sennheiser HD580/600/650 would work, except that you can't stand the double-sided cord so that's a no-go (a shame, because it's what I came here to post). I don't know about DT-880, either, as I believe they're a lighter grip than even the HD580 so would likely fall off if you tried to lay down or sleep with them on. Perhaps the HD595? Single-sided cord, very comfy, should stay on your head provided you position your pillow right under it.

You might be looking at IEMs as your only viable option; though I really wouldn't recommend sleeping with them in, there are people who do just that.

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 18
I've fallen asleep in my HF-1s a few times. Not sure if this means Grados are good for sleeping or if it just means I'm odd.
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
I've fallen asleep in my HF-1s a few times. Not sure if this means Grados are good for sleeping or if it just means I'm odd.

What?? If I did that the tops of my ears would be sore from the driver pressing on them> I admire your abilities! Teach me the ways of Grado-sleep master!

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 18
For physical comfort and a low profile, consider the Sony canal phones. Seriously. Headphones/earphones don't get much more comfortable than those (not the same as the Shures, form-wise). As for the sound quality, aren't you supposed to be sleeping?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 18
Sony EX-71s, not only are they perfect for sleeping in, but being asleep means you can't hear them!

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 18
Isn't sleeping with headphones lousy for your ears? Aren't they more sensitive when you're sleeping... or is that just an old wives tale?

Jan 23, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 18
Am I alone in doing this? Many electronic things have a 'sleep' timer!
eek.gif

I use my big bedroom stereo set on a low volume, but would it be out of the question to get a couple of little portable speakers and hang them on the end of your bed?

Using a sleep timer also allows you to just lie there, shut your eyes and drift off. Not worrying about anything.

Jan 23, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Am I alone in doing this? Many electronic things have a 'sleep' timer!
eek.gif

I use my big bedroom stereo set on a low volume, but would it be out of the question to get a couple of little portable speakers and hang them on the end of your bed?

Using a sleep timer also allows you to just lie there, shut your eyes and drift off. Not worrying about anything.

Not always an option when you've got company.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vo328
Not always an option when you've got company.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, but that is what the sleep timer is for. If your bed partner can't drift off to a bit of Black Metal, you've picked wrong!
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #15 of 18
The sleeping matter is the main reason I have InEars - I chose the Creative EP630s then. Guess many others will do as well.

Any other "conventional" can is a catastrophy in bed. Will only work for those who are able to sleep on the back - I can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back