Headphones for rock/metal that don't require a powerful amp?
Sep 20, 2016 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Zoofiee

New Head-Fier
Hey

I'm running my ATH M50s straight out of my Steinberg UR22 Interface. I don't find them comfortable at all, my ears start to sweat after 10 minutes and don't find them pleasent to listen to at all. I don't know if I'm weird or not, because so many people love the M50s.

I was very interested in the HD598s, but apparently they're not great for metal.
Also, I find Grado's have too high treble for me, and aren't that comfy!

So yeah, looking for some headphones that :

- I can power with my UR22 interface
- Good with metal & rock, but also not terrible for more chilled stuff (acoustic etc)
- Aren't overly EQ'd, so I can do very basic guitar mixing for Youtube etc.

Looking to spend max £250/$325 (From the UK)

Thanks! :)

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 10
  Hey

I'm running my ATH M50s straight out of my Steinberg UR22 Interface. I don't find them comfortable at all, my ears start to sweat after 10 minutes and don't find them pleasent to listen to at all. I don't know if I'm weird or not, because so many people love the M50s.

I was very interested in the HD598s, but apparently they're not great for metal.
Also, I find Grado's have too high treble for me, and aren't that comfy!

So yeah, looking for some headphones that :

- I can power with my UR22 interface
- Good with metal & rock, but also not terrible for more chilled stuff (acoustic etc)
- Aren't overly EQ'd, so I can do very basic guitar mixing for Youtube etc.

Looking to spend max £250/$325 (From the UK)

Thanks! :)

This is an easy one.
Take the comfort of the Senns, the forward presentation of the Grados, add some needed soundstage and separation and you have the Philips Fidelio X2.

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Cheers dude

They sound good without another amp and also better than my m50s?

Been a number of years since ive heard the 50's but Id say YES.

The X2 are easy to drive (30OHM) and in my opinion are the most under-rated and under-priced cans on the market.

The build quality is astounding and in a whole other league than your AT's.
I think you'll find the two day and night...

Also, aren't the AT's closed back?
If so, there is really no comparing these two cans.
The soundstage will be HUGE and overall substantial increase in detail and precision.

Sep 21, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 10

Been a number of years since ive heard the 50's but Id say YES.

The X2 are easy to drive (30OHM) and in my opinion are the most under-rated and under-priced cans on the market.

The build quality is astounding and in a whole other league than your AT's.
I think you'll find the two day and night...

Also, aren't the AT's closed back?
If so, there is really no comparing these two cans.
The soundstage will be HUGE and overall substantial increase in detail and precision.

Awesome thanks for your help
They don't seem that widely available in the UK, in fact the only pair I can find are on Ebay (new) for £180.

Sep 21, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 10
I agree with the X2, good all around open with good bass. If a closed headphone is needed I would look at the Fostex TH-X00. I have seen a few pairs for sale here around your price. There was the Purple-hearts and Mahogany both on there. I do have both the X2 and the X00. Great with rock, mine are not going no where !

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 10
I wonder why didn't anyone mention Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO. It's killer and within your range of 250 bucks. It comes with an impednace of 80 ohms, which can be even driven by mobile devices and sounds great on even less powerful amps. This is the headphone that I recommend on he go.

My next option is to go Yamaha HPH-MT220, as Music Alchemist said. They aren't popular as M50x but still beats it out of the water.

I found this post on the web, I thought it's an affordable post and it caught my attention.
http://www.headphonesbuzz.com/headphones-for-rock-music/

While choosing headphones for rock music, make sure the mid range is toned good. It should have punchy bass and clear mids and highs. The best budget option here is RP-HTF600-S, which comes at around $35, and is performing quite well. There are decent reviews for this headphone on Amazon for you to review.

Best.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #10 of 10
X2's don't really sound forward at all, imo. They are very warm overall with their bass boost and V-shaped sound sig. Lows have a big punch for an open model, though. There's extra power in higher highs (10k etc.), but that doesn't really affect the fundamentals of instruments. Upper mids and treble proper aren't very present. X2 has this totally non-offensive, "easy-listening" sound that doesn't truly work with rock/metal for me - lacking in the crackle of a snare and crunch of electric guitars. It can also be heard as boring. There is more soundstage than most closed models, but I don't find that very important in most rock or metal.

The old & trusty favorite DT770 80ohm gets my vote. They have much better treble-sizzle and sub-bass. Basically they don't sound as colored in the higher regions and the bass is flatter. Instruments sound more like what they should. The Beyers are more comfy too. I own both, btw.

Beyers are european, so you'll get lots of good deals too - while you guys are still in the EU 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back