Headphones for rock/gaming under 150-ish
Jun 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

discoking989

New Head-Fier
I am looking for some headphones for hard rock, metal, and that kind of thing and also for gaming. I don't need something to sound whore with, just something with good audio quality that will make the music and sounds in games shine. Sadly, it will be console gaming (I'm terrible, IK) but it's all I got. I would prefer for it to be around 100-150$ but I will be willing to pay a bit more if it is going to actually be a huge difference. I would like something similar to DJ-ing headphones, folding and sound cancelling. I will also be using these to listen to music in loud areas. I would also like something that is somewhat decent looking, and not too gaudy/colorful. I will not be using an amp.

Recap:

-100-150ish$
-Doesn't need an amp
-(hopefully) Folding
-Good sound for rock and gaming
-Not the M50's (Tried em before)
-Decent soundstage

Would It be worth getting a cable that is an optical to 3.5mm jack? It seemed to make a difference with my lolcheap headphones.

Please post any questions about anything I missed or didn't explain well :p

EDIT: It does not need to be sound blocking, I would actually prefer if it were more open. I just still want it to be closed and over-ear.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 19
Since your looking for gaming headphones, i have alot to offer..

Gaming:

Steelseries Siberia V2
Steelseries FLUX
Razer Orca
Razer Tiamat 2.2
Razer Tiamat 7.1
Razer Kracken
Razer Megalodon
Skullcandy SLYR

I've used all of them so just ask on what you want to know.

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:
Since your looking for gaming headphones, i have alot to offer..

Gaming:

Steelseries Siberia V2
Steelseries FLUX
Razer Orca
Razer Tiamat 2.2
Razer Tiamat 7.1
Razer Kracken
Razer Megalodon
Skullcandy SLYR

I've used all of them so just ask on what you want to know

Let me explain, sorry

I don't want a terrible "Gaming" headset, I want good, reliable clear headphones that aren't overpriced trash.

I want headphones, HEADPHONES. Not a headset, but some good cans that are clear and nice. My cheap headphones beat the best that my friend's "gaming" headphones could do. Those kinda things don't have good sound quality, and cramming a ton of speakers into 1 headset=bad.

Sorry bout that, I meant the audiophile headphone stuff.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 19
I think you might be asking for two much.
Folding (DJ type) headphones that are good for gaming (surround sound) might be hard to find.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:
I think you might be asking for two much.
Folding (DJ type) headphones that are good for gaming (surround sound) might be hard to find.

I don't want surround sound, only a good sounding headphone with a somewhat decent sound stage. I won't be sound whoring or doing anything like that, only enjoying the sounds like the makers intended them to be.

Sorry if this came across as rude, I didn't mean it.

Jun 16, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #6 of 19
It's going to be pretty hard to find something that fits all your requirements. You could just buy 2 sets, purchase a Grado SR80i for music, and a cheap gaming headset for gaming. No single pair of cans can fit your needs.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 19
I know I can't get everything, but I already have cheap cans for music and gaming.So cheap that anything would probably be a step up from what I currently have.

Oh well, DJ headphones That people like will be good enough. Anyone have any suggestions?

Should I stretch and get the m-80's? I have seen plenty of great things on it and it is looking to be good.
EDIT: The cross fade LP's seem to fit what I want, anyone have any gripes about these? EDIT:Too many bad reviews

Jun 16, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Let me explain, sorry

I don't want a terrible "Gaming" headset, I want good, reliable clear headphones that aren't overpriced trash.

I want headphones, HEADPHONES. Not a headset, but some good cans that are clear and nice. My cheap headphones beat the best that my friend's "gaming" headphones could do. Those kinda things don't have good sound quality, and cramming a ton of speakers into 1 headset=bad.

Sorry bout that, I meant the audiophile headphone stuff.

Oh, ok.. Since your looking at decent headphones with a soundstage, and with a decent budget. Check out the Philips Citiscape Uptowns, the Pioneer STEEZ 808, the Sony MDR-1r's and if your lucky to find it, the Senheisser Momentums. At first i thought you want gaming ones.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Oh, ok.. Since your looking at decent headphones with a soundstage, and with a decent budget. Check out the Philips Citiscape Uptowns, the Pioneer STEEZ 808, the Sony MDR-1r's and if your lucky to find it, the Senheisser Momentums. At first i thought you want gaming ones.

Thanks! The thing is, some of those are out of what I want to spend. The uptowns look nice, do they have good sound quality and everything? People seem to be saying good things about the soundstage, and it looks like it would feel very nice.

Even now, at amazon, they are 75$ and I could buy a Fiio amp for cheap too. Do those have controllable volume from the box? That would be helpful for what I intend to be doing.

Also, would it be hard to do a removable cable mod on them? It seems the main problem is the terrible cable.

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 19
discoking989, you may want to check out the DT770 Pro as well. I've seen them new on Amazon for around $110--and as long as you have a semi-decent amp, you should be fine. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #13 of 19
Eh, I liked the LP's and stuff for the looks, but the M100s are waaay too expensive. I doubt that I'll be able to find some M100's on ebay for under 130ish. If I can get them, I would be overjoyed considering their good looks and a higher-tier set of cans. I'll definitely try to look though, because I (like an idiot) forgot buying used. It would be great if I could find some in good condition that are already burned-in, since I know nothing about it and I am WAAY too impatient
frown.gif

Thanks, I'll be trying to look for them.

EDIT: Some people say they are too detailed and hurt their ears, and are also uncomfortable. I need something that can be worn for very extended periods of time. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, how big and detailed is the soundstage? That is something that will matter a lot for me.

Jun 16, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 19
I own a pair of Uptowns. With a little eq ( i use the rock settng on my ipad), they have very punchy bass, engaging mids and nice highs for rock. I have found them to be very nice for RHCP, Maroon 5 and ACDC. Also, they do have a very nice above average soundstage that shows itself in both rock music and gaming. Even with stereo gaming I could understand somewhat where the sounds where coming from. You'll be more than happy for that price. They do isolate quite a bit. The only turn off is the bad volume adjuster on the cable. İt doesn't work nice, creates audio imbalance and makes one ear louder, and it takes me a minute to make it loud enough and have balanced sound. I don't think this would be a huge issue even though some others have also had the issue. You can get a fiio e5/6 and make it lıuder and add some more impact to the bass.

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 19
Id recommend the uptown also. They have a very got sound stage for a closed can.

AKG K167 sound better to me and can fold but some complain about build. No problem here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back