Headphones for recording at live concerts and other loud events
Apr 30, 2015 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

purpledrank

Head-Fier
I'm trying to help my broadcast journalism teacher find a good pair of headphones to record live events on our Panasonic AVCHD cameras. I've found that with our current headphones sound tends to leak in and I can't tell the difference between sound coming from the camera and sound coming from the event. My teacher thinks that adjusting the volume and gain settings would solve these problems and while that might be true to a certain point I know a good pair of headphones can go a long way.

I'm looking for a pair of closed back headphones with noise isolating or canceling features. They need a low impedance. My teacher wouldn't give me a budget but since this is for high school it needs to be a reasonable price. I only need 1 pair because I expect these to be used occasionally while the other headphones get used for all other stories. Current headphones are all shoved into once case and some of them damaged. They are either Califones or Sony MDR-XD200.   

I'm not looking for audiophile grade headphones for filming loud events. They just need to be able to isolate or cancel sound. Is Bose something I should look at or are there better options for what I intend to use these headphones for?

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 4
The Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 (almost the same headphone, similar sound) have been popular in the recording industry for years at workhorse monitor headphones. Built like tanks, too. Seems like they might fit your needs. Go with whichever is cheaper.

Apr 30, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 4
The Sony MDR-V6 and MDR-7506 (almost the same headphone, similar sound) have been popular in the recording industry for years at workhorse monitor headphones. Built like tanks, too. Seems like they might fit your needs. Go with whichever is cheaper.

Aren't those usually used inside in a controlled setting? Sometimes my journalism class will cover events like concerts and pep rallies. I want to make sure that the audio will be heard from the headphones and not the actual event (if that makes sense). If the answer is yes I will definitely mention them to my teacher.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Why not in ear monitors? As much as we can see cameramen wearing those Sonys all the time, in those cases the camera men need them more for instructions from the director (eg. cameramen at an awards show, then someone directs from a room with all the monitors). In-ears are better for isolation especially when you're monitoring the mic on the cam without someone else doing it in a more isolated room or mobile news van.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back