Headphones for radio broadcast and listening to music
Jun 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DReborn

New Head-Fier
hey all, I would like to call myself an audiophile--I LOVE good sound.  But im just starting to get into the world of headphones.

I am currently the host of a talk show on KABC 790 Los Angeles and I want to upgrade the crappy headphones they give me at the station during taping.  The only real demand I have is that they have to comfortable to wear for TWO hours. 

My main concern is should I choose an open or closed ear design?  Part of me thinks I should only choose a closed ear so I block out any other sound but then again, the studio is extremely quiet except for me and my guests talking. 

I also want to use them for home/office listening.  I mostly like r&b, rap, indie pop, and rock (i know, no headphone will excel at ALL of those).

my initial thoughts, no particular order (wanted to spend up to $500):

1.  Shure SRH945
2.  AudioTech ATH-M50
3.  AKG K 550
4. Senn HD650
5.  Denon AH-D5000

Dream list only if you guys tell me I should...  =)

6. Senn HD800
7. HiFiMAN HE-500
8.  Audez'e LCD-2
9. Senn HD700

So there you go.  I know there are some classic choices and some new ones.  Would love to hear advice!

thanks!

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 8
The D5000 is also efficient enough to run well from any source.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 8
interesting...so two votes for the D5000!

I ordered the HE500 last night from Amazon (there was only one left) but maybe I'll switch to the D5000.

Any suggestions for amp/dac to drive the D5000?  Seems like the world of headphone amps/dac is even more complicated than the headphones they drive!

Anybody like the Headroom amp+dac combo?

Thanks for the help

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 8
Part of the reason I chose the D5000 is because they are a closed headphone, and part was because I assumed that you would be plugging them in to a studio console. If you are okay with open, and plan on getting a dedicated amp, then the HE500 should be fine. You will find many amp recommendations in one of its dedicated threads.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 8
i will be plugging them into a studio console.  just curious, why is the D5000 better than the HE500 in that case?

I think the HE500 already shipped so I will give them a try and if the open design doesn't work then I'll jump on the D5000's.

any other suggestions would be welcome

thanks!

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 8
I think that the D5000 is more efficient, but I'm not sure as I haven't tried the HE500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back