Headphones for powerful vocals in dance music?
May 12, 2014 at 5:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Inzaniak

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody, I've started reading this forum a few months ago and I've finally decided to subscribe. I've spent hours reading the reviews on this forum and I must say that is this site that increased my love for headphones. So thank you.
That being said, I'm here to ask for a recommendation. I listen to a lot of music genres, but recently i've fallen in love with Dance/Electronic music with powerful female vocals. I've got a pair of Studio 2013 and a pair of Sony NWZ-WH505, both of them sound good with this type of music, but I find the vocals to be a bit "shy".
These are my "terms":
1) The price should be <350€. To be greater I need to know what I'm paying for :D.
2) The headphones must be Over-ear or Around-ear. I usually don't have problems with comfort, my ears are hard as wood.
3) I'd prefer them to be closed because I travel a lot, but if the open ones have a better sound i could buy them.
4) The focus MUST be on powerful female vocals, something like Sia in Titanium or Louisa Allen aka Foxes in Clarity. They also have to be good with electronic music, but vocals are the priority.
5) I haven't got an Amp, and my best music source is a Nexus 5. I could consider buying an Amp, if the quality of the sound is improved. If you want to suggest one i'd like a portable one.

That's all. Thanks in advance for your help and have a good day. :D

May 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 8
Open headphones typically have a bigger soundstage than closed headphones, which can provide better immersion experience in the music for EDM. They are definitely worth giving a try if you have not heard any good open headphones before.

I'm not familiar with the sound of your headphones. You might try checking out Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame lists and seeing which of the headphones seem interesting to you. Each of the headphones in the individual lists generally leads to a full review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

There's also this Battle of the Flagships which reviews a lot of high end headphones: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_index2

As you get into higher end headphones, some will require an amp to be driven properly with a portable device like the Nexus 5.

May 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 8
You ain't gonna be able to travel with open headphones, they leak sound and you'll hear everything.

Denon d-600 are very good for Edm, they are fully able to be driven from a phone too, coming from V shaped phones they'll probably sound fairly forward.

May 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Hello everybody, I've started reading this forum a few months ago and I've finally decided to subscribe. I've spent hours reading the reviews on this forum and I must say that is this site that increased my love for headphones. So thank you.
That being said, I'm here to ask for a recommendation. I listen to a lot of music genres, but recently i've fallen in love with Dance/Electronic music with powerful female vocals. I've got a pair of Studio 2013 and a pair of Sony NWZ-WH505, both of them sound good with this type of music, but I find the vocals to be a bit "shy".
These are my "terms":
1) The price should be <350€. To be greater I need to know what I'm paying for
biggrin.gif
2) The headphones must be Over-ear or Around-ear. I usually don't have problems with comfort, my ears are hard as wood.
3) I'd prefer them to be closed because I travel a lot, but if the open ones have a better sound i could buy them.
4) The focus MUST be on powerful female vocals, something like Sia in Titanium or Louisa Allen aka Foxes in Clarity. They also have to be good with electronic music, but vocals are the priority.
5) I haven't got an Amp, and my best music source is a Nexus 5. I could consider buying an Amp, if the quality of the sound is improved. If you want to suggest one i'd like a portable one.

That's all. Thanks in advance for your help and have a good day.
biggrin.gif

I'd be looking for a more neutral headphone, with a slight U shape:

B&W P7
ES FC300
Focal Spirit Pro

The FC300 and P7 really have the signature you're looking for, though moreso with the P7.

PS: Don't underestimate the FC300 based on price.

May 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 8
Mr Speakers Mad Dog - T50RP ... Really really good female vocal headphone.  K240s gets my vote too, the 55 ohm model.  Don't let its lower price point fool you, its been a near-reference standard for the music recording industry for decades... in its various forms.  The K701 is my personal fave for female vocals.  But the 701 and 240s are semi-open though... so thats one knock against.

May 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 8
+1 on mad dog, female vocals are -probably- the best part

I was talking to Dan at a local meet once and he is a flute player.  He has tweeked the 50RP signature to most faithfully replicate the tones of that instrument played live in person as is his point of reference.  Flue and human vocals have a lot in common, both tonally in terms of fundamental notes and harmonically in terms of air and "breathy-ness".  I am a huge Ian Anderson / Martin Barr (Jethro tull) fan and I am constantly on the fence with this headphone.  What the Grado RS1 does for Stevie Ray and Al DiMeola, the Mad Dog does for flute and vocals.  Its a really GOOD headphone.

May 12, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Another vote for the ES FC300 for what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back