Headphones for portable rig
Jul 26, 2009 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fnzeee

New Head-Fier
I am looking for non-IEM phones to use with my portable audio rig. Using a Samsung P2 with Fiio E5 amp at the moment, but hoping to upgrade to better DAC once I have decent cans. I have researched the forums and online reviews and compiled what seem to be the best in my price range. My music spans all genres. I tend not to prefer Grados (comfort mostly) and the one set of Senn's I have tried (an old pair of Ovation II's) I found to be very light on low end and a bit too sharp on the highes. I am leaning toward the dj1200A or Xone XD-53 because they are a closed design, durable, comfortable, value-priced, and supposedly very good SQ. Would anyone recommend for or against any of these for a portable audio setup? Here's the list:

$200 - Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Grado SR225i, or Sennheiser HD 25 Pro MK2
$180 - Sennheiser HD595, Denon AH-D2000
$165 - Allen & Heath XONE XD-53, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro or ProLine 550
$150 to $170 - Ultrasone HFI-550G, HFI-580
$150 - AKG K272HD
$110 - Technics rp-dj1200A
$95 - Sennheiser HD555, Grado SR-80i
$80 - Sennheiser HD280 Pro

fnzeee

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 5
If you want a better dac for portable, you are going to need a player that bypasses the internal dac. The only one I know of is the Iriver, which has an optical out. Otherwise you will only be able to use a portable amp.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 5
That makes sense. I see that you have some experience with portable amps...how does the E5 compare to your others?

EDIT -> I see that you sold all but the Pico... that much better?

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, the E5 was defiantly good for me at the time, but yea the Pico is of course way better than all the other amps I have owned. That being said, it is also way more expensive than all the other amps I have owned. I use it mostly connected to USB, which is where it really shines. As a portable amp it is pretty good, but I think if I wasn't using it as a usb dac as well as an amp, it would be too much to spend. You can't really expect to compare a 500 dollar amp to a 20 dollar amp. Nor can you compare a 165 dollar amp to a 20 dollar amp. They just aren't designed to do the same thing. The FiiO makes the music muddy, but adds to the sound stage and bass a little.

Jul 26, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #5 of 5
Great balanced feedback - thanks. I'm sure it makes a big difference driving the ATH-ESW9's. Those look awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back