Headphones for Portable Music Listening $50 - $150
Aug 23, 2013 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

calthom

New Head-Fier
I've only ever used ear buds, but either my ear canals are weirdly small or I'm just over-sensitive but I find them incredibly uncomfortable and they never stay in. I'm looking for a portable pair of headphones to use to listen to music on my ipod and cellphone while I'm walking around outside. It would be a bonus if they had noise cancellation or were at least thick enough to kind of block out the noise of traffic and people in busy places. I would also like to use them in my school library without having the music leak out and annoy people, so closed with sound isolation would be preferable. 

I'm willing to spend up to $200 if the set is perfect and good quality, but I would prefer to spend around $100 seeing as I doubt that I'd notice the difference in sound quality between a decent pair and a really high-quality pair. I've been looking at all the Sennheiser HD400s (449, 429 etc) and they seem OK but then I keep seeing people say they're not all that great. If I had more money I'd go for the Sennheiser Momentums.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Agree that IEMs are not for everyone.  On the other hand, I had
a similar fit problem with cheap earbuds, but have gotten a
good fit with the Etymotics and their  triple flange tips.  I'd
say it took me a full week (maybe 2) to get used to them.

They are very portable and are terrific at noise isolation.
The downside is that you just don't know if they will
be comfortable enough without trying them.  Also they
tend to be a bit lean in the bass, although this doesn't
bother me at all, with my listening preferences.  Very
clean sound.

I wouldn't completely rule out the HD 439.  It's a closed
design and fairly light weight. It is not as clear and precise
as, for example, the ATH M50.  But it is easy to
listen to. Also not has heavy as the M50 and for that
reason it's more comfortable for me to wear. I found it took
quite a bit of break in.  YMMV.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I've only ever used ear buds, but either my ear canals are weirdly small or I'm just over-sensitive but I find them incredibly uncomfortable and they never stay in. I'm looking for a portable pair of headphones to use to listen to music on my ipod and cellphone while I'm walking around outside. 

You and I sir, have the same issue. I have a... strong HATE for iems... they... just suck with my ears... they are painful, they NEVER stay in and ugh they feel so WEIRD.

That being said, try the uhh you walk and listen to music, hmm yea that's a common thing ppl do isn't it xD. Well the Sound Magic HP 100 apprently sound good! 

I'd recommened a used Ath a900x or a used AKG k550 but well those won't stay on ur head if you walk around xD 

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I've only ever used ear buds, but either my ear canals are weirdly small or I'm just over-sensitive but I find them incredibly uncomfortable and they never stay in. I'm looking for a portable pair of headphones to use to listen to music on my ipod and cellphone while I'm walking around outside. It would be a bonus if they had noise cancellation or were at least thick enough to kind of block out the noise of traffic and people in busy places. I would also like to use them in my school library without having the music leak out and annoy people, so closed with sound isolation would be preferable. 

I'm willing to spend up to $200 if the set is perfect and good quality, but I would prefer to spend around $100 seeing as I doubt that I'd notice the difference in sound quality between a decent pair and a really high-quality pair. I've been looking at all the Sennheiser HD400s (449, 429 etc) and they seem OK but then I keep seeing people say they're not all that great. If I had more money I'd go for the Sennheiser Momentums.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Do you think you could swing just a bit more?  Momentums at $248.  Hopefully your ears aren't too large, some have complained about them not fitting well in these.  But if you think about it, you'll probably be listening to these a lot, so it's worth it to spend a little more and get something you'll love.  http://store.sennheiserusa.com/store/sennheis/en_US/pd/ThemeID.10315700/productID.284359300

Aug 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 6
Thank you everyone for the input! Very helpful. I decided I would wait a little while and buy the Stennheiser Momentums because I agree that it's probably better to spend a little extra on something that seems perfect. I have fairly small ears, too, so I'm not worried about the fit.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back