headphones for portable mp3 players
Jun 5, 2003 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ingenious28

New Head-Fier
hi all
its been awhile since ive posted here
i first hit this forum in search of a nice pair of headphones to use on my computer for listening to mp3's and for gaming, and the ones i settled on were senns hd-497's
i also use them in conjunction with my MD player

recently i was considering upgrading my headphones, possibly to a 580 or something along that line, and constructing a meta amp for home and a mint amp to take along with my MD player

so i guess my question is if this is really overkill
would an amped 580 be too much to use on a portable mp3 player?
should i just stick with my 497s, or is there some median in between that would be a better choice?

Jun 5, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 4
I was ampless when I first had my HD580s.. I stlil found myself enjoying them quite a bit. I'm not sure what the output is like out of a MD player but through a decent soundcard they sound okay. Of course it was a whole different experience once I had a decent amp. So I think it makes for a decent phone if you want to eventually do the upgrade route.. But I'd try and find a place to audition the Senns first and make sure thats what you want. I don't know how much of the signature sound from the 497 carries on to the 580. But yeah.. Still own the 580s.. still think they sound pretty sweet with lots of music. If you en joy the grado sound that might be another option cause they sound pretty good right out of the box and even better when amped. Lini and Snufkin have also been pretty big promoters of the Beyerdynamic DT531 as a great phone both unamped and amped. I don't think I've read a single thing bad about the 531s on the boards but I could be wrong. Good luck finding your next phone.. and if your wallet knows whats up it will convince you to do the same as you did last time and not stick around too long after you make your purchase! Not trying to discourage you from posting.. hehe.. just a well warranted warning, especially if you're considering the HD580s.

Jun 5, 2003 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 4
i wasn't sure what headphones exactly, i was just throwing out the 580 as a general class of headphones

my main concern was that i didnt get a headphone/amp combination and have it be way out of the class of the source, i.e mp3 player and computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back