Headphones for people with big ears
Mar 26, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #19 of 20

Just been through a "big ears" headphone selection process: candidates were the Focal Elear, HiFiMan Edition X V2, Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HS-800S - to be connected to a Weiss DAC202 driven off Aidivana on a MacPro. I also had Oppo PM-1 and AKG K872 on the test list but these were not available at the time.

In the shop I where I was testing, the testing was done via an iPhone 6 driving an Chord Mojo - quite impressed with that Mojo I have to say :)

I had to reject the Focal immediately - the internal ear pad circumference was roomy but although the cups look very deep the pads are very soft and the internal cup was resting on my ear cartilage and giving me pain straight away.

The Audeze I really liked the sound - actually it may have been the best overall - but the ear pads have quite a tight fit around the ear and the depth was not great - again I think due to soft pads - better than the Focal but not by much so unfortunately they had to go.

The Sennheiser were a big surprise since I have only used their gaming headsets in the past - the internal cup space was plenty and I had no comfort issues at all. The sound was very clear - very detailed, but sounded a little dry and polite - I tried with a few "meaty" live rock tracks and they somewhat lacked presence.

The HiFiMan have massive oval ear cups, and were very comfy with no issues at all. Sound-wise I felt these were better than the Sennheiser - maybe a tad less detailed, but they had a more meaty base and just seemed more life-like. They really rocked out on the live tracks.

So I took the HiFiMan in the end - could have lived with the Sennheiser if I had not tried the HiFiMan - and still think the Audeze had the best sound but the comfort wasn't there for me (sadly).

Anybody familiar with the AKG K872 can state how the internal cup space is in comparison to any of the above ? Whilst the HiFiMan are fine at my home office desktop where sound leakage isn’t an issue, I need a closed-back alternative for when I'm out in public with iPhone 6 + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red. Any other suggestions ?

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 20
Headphones for people with teacup shape ears (extruding shape).

Beyer T1 - Angled drivers with deep ear cups.

Focal Clear - Angled drivers with deep ear cups (not as deep as Beyer T1). May not fit big ears. New pads 25mm x 49mm x 59mm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back