Headphones for office
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

r1sh

Head-Fier
Hello!

Please help with the choice of headphones for the office, listen primarily to electronic music and hip-hop.

At the moment I use audio-technica ath-ad700 at home, I've been using headphones for 5 years, I'm quite happy with them: they are light, I like the sound with my stage and volume, though the bass is not so much as I would like.

For the office, I'm looking for full-size closed-type headphones priced at up to $80-120 to be purchased from the hands.

I'm thinking about listening to them with the FiiO E12 amplifier

From what I saw, these are the models:

Audio-Technica ATH-M30x \ M40x \ M50x
Beyerdynamic DT440
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
Sony MDR-X950BT
Sony MDR-XB700
Sony MDR-1R

Is one of theese model are good or may be there is another one worth buying?

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 23
DT770 gets the vote from me! I personally love the sound of the 250ohm version best... they seem to be the best balanced and have excellent midrange. They're even relatively easy to drive and sound good straight out of my iPhone 7. They're my "vacation headphones". I always take them with me since they're comfy, sound excellent and have great isolation for not having any sort of active noise cancellation.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 23
Of the ones you listed, I'd recommend the DT 770 Pro for comfort as well as for sound (you'll get more bass than you are getting on the ATH-AD700). I like the DT1350 but as mentioned by Policar, they can be brutal on my ears after a while.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 23
Thank you for answers, guys!

What about Sony headphones? DT770 is the most expensive one on them :frowning2:

and i'm afraid that 250om beyers my Amp fiio e17 couldn't hold

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 23
Thank you for answers, guys!

What about Sony headphones? DT770 is the most expensive one on them :frowning2:

and i'm afraid that 250om beyers my Amp fiio e17 couldn't hold

The Fiio E17 can definitely drive the DT770 250 ohm if that is your concern... I don't particularly like Sony, in my opinion, Sony gives the worst price to performance ratio but YMMV.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 23
The Fiio E17 can definitely drive the DT770 250 ohm if that is your concern... I don't particularly like Sony, in my opinion, Sony gives the worst price to performance ratio but YMMV.

Strange, I found Sony 700,950 and 1R for 100$ in my city in Russia and Beyers 770 cost almost 170$...i guess it's too much...

And what about om's for 770's? What is the difference between 32, 80 and 250?

Will them suit for listening mp3 from internet?:)

What about Amp fiio e12? Which is better?

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #9 of 23
Strange, I found Sony 700,950 and 1R for 100$ in my city in Russia and Beyers 770 cost almost 170$...

What about Amp fiio e12? Which is better?
The E12 will output more power but you'd still need the use the E17 to output a line out to it since the E12 is only an amp.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #11 of 23
em...i can't just use e12 with my laptop? :frowning2:
You can but I wouldn't recommend it. If your laptop can't output a proper line out then the amp might not work as well as intended. Also, though not always the case, most laptops, especially the cheaper ones have a ridiculous amount of noise, even more than cheaper smartphones in my experience, so you'd also be amplifying that noise too.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #12 of 23
You can but I wouldn't recommend it. If your laptop can't output a proper line out then the amp might not work as well as intended. Also, though not always the case, most laptops, especially the cheaper ones have a ridiculous amount of noise, even more than cheaper smartphones in my experience, so you'd also be amplifying that noise too.

Oh, okay thank you, then i'll look at e17 :)

and what about headphones? Sony and Audio-Technica is cheaper then Beyers for half a price. With e17 will them suit for listening mp3 of work?

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #14 of 23
Oh, okay thank you, then i'll look at e17 :)

and what about headphones? Sony and Audio-Technica is cheaper then Beyers for half a price. With e17 will them suit for listening mp3 of work?
None of the Audio Technica headphones you have listed require an amp. While I really dislike the M50x, the M40x is quite good for the price IMO. I have not tried the M30x so I will not comment on it. Unless your laptop DAC/Amp is horrid and is spewing out distortion, noise, etc, I wouldn't say you need to buy an amp for those headphones but it's up to you.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #15 of 23
Are the Beyer DT 150 and DT 250 available in your area and if so how much? They are the other two closed-back Beyers to look at around the DT 770's tier.

There are a few offers of 150 and 250 and thy cost more then 770 about $180-200 :frowning2:

None of the Audio Technica headphones you have listed require an amp. While I really dislike the M50x, the M40x is quite good for the price IMO. I have not tried the M30x so I will not comment on it. Unless your laptop DAC/Amp is horrid and is spewing out distortion, noise, etc, I wouldn't say you need to buy an amp for those headphones but it's up to you.

amp is just a new experience, i've newer used it,just want to compare sound between "headphones with amp" and "headphones without amp".

Why do you dislike M50x?

As I undrstand you don't like Sony?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back