Headphones for my mom
Oct 27, 2007 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vanger

Head-Fier
As the title says, my mom wants headphones for work. Here's her situation:

-Works in a noisy cubicle so the utmost important factor is noise cancellation. As much noise cancellation as possible.

-She does want actual headphones so she can listen to music, but still wants them to be able to shut off all noise even when there's nothing playing.

-Must be lightweight (this IS for my mom you know
tongue.gif
)

-Comfortable to wear for hours. I'd say, 4-5 hours of straight use.

-Sound quality isn't that important.

-Budget = $200.

Let me know what you guys think and if I forgot something I'll add it later. Thanks
icon10.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 14
IEMs provide better sound isolation than regular headphones. BUT some ppl never get used to them. Have her to into pharmacy buy and try those tri-ple flanges earplugs, and if she has no problem wearing those, she will be fine with IEMs.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 14
You could also consider HD25 and HD280 since they are both closed and isolate pretty damn well. Other, really appropriate solution is ATH-ANC7, which is noice-canceling, with pretty nice sound for such, and is comfy. Just around $200.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also consider HD25 and HD280 since they are both closed and isolate pretty damn well. Other, really appropriate solution is ATH-ANC7, which is noice-canceling, with pretty nice sound for such, and is comfy. Just around $200.

Quick question for a noob, is there a difference between sound isolation and noise-cancelling? I just got my HD25's in the mail today (
lambda.gif
) and with no sound playing, I really doubt they'll shut enough office noise off for my mom since I can still hear what my mom says to me with the HD25's on and no sound playing. As for me, I plan to have sound running through my HD25's all the time so no problem here hehe.

Oct 27, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #7 of 14
HD 25 is supra-aural, which gives me comfort problems for extended periods of time. HD 280 is circumaural, which I find much better.

If she's OK with IEMs, I would suggest the etymotic er6i.

Edit: Active noise cancelling headphones generate inverse sound waves which cancel out sound at lower frequencies. Isolating headphones simply create a seal around or in your ear so you can't hear the outside world as well. Good IEMs with the right fit (absolutely essential!) can isolate you just as much as the best noise cancelling phones out there.

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 14
Noice-Cancellation refers to an additional powered gadget as described by Carlinneng. Beside the added bulk, the need to have it powered, I hear sometimes if u hit the phone's cable the wrong way, u get unpleasant feebacks from this type.

OTOH, noise-isolation is passive, all-acting. IEMs are really earplugs and earphone in-one.

At times, when I drive my convertible top down, and the wind noise bothers me, I wear my IEM wo the music and it's great. My face feels the wind but my ears are totally comfy. Motocycle riders is known to wear earplugs.

Oct 27, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 14
About IEMs though, they arent THAT comfortable for wearing 4-5 hours straight. Try wearing normal foam earplugs that long, it becomes annoying quickly.

AND, not necessarily about the exact comfort but the comfort of usage, they are pain in the ass to insert properly. It isnt easy to insert them properly so you get a good seal without building pressure between the IEM and eardrum and therefore butcher the sound. They are not something you can just put on and take off as need occurs. I have hard time figuring that a mom who isnt interested in optimal accuracy of sound would even bother to fiddle with IEMs.

IEMs provide great sound, but since it isnt priority, I would look elsewhere either from closed headphones or noise cancelling types.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Any other suggestions on actual models and such though? If possible, could you compare the isolation to a HD25 so I have a better picture of how well it isolates. BTW, like I mentioned earlier, the HD25 are no where near enough the amount of isolation needed. Thanks for the replies so far
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other suggestions on actual models and such though? If possible, could you compare the isolation to a HD25 so I have a better picture of how well it isolates. BTW, like I mentioned earlier, the HD25 are no where near enough the amount of isolation needed. Thanks for the replies so far
smily_headphones1.gif

A good IEM can isolate to make airplanes barely audible, if audible at all.

Oct 27, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 14
What would be a good IEM for this situation? Also, Maza brought up a good point so some effective isolating/noise cancelling headphones recommendations would still be helpful.

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 14
I don't like active cancellation for reasons mentioned.

I recommend the Er6i as well, smooth nice sounding wo being strident and no head-banging bass.

Fitting an IEM is like wearing contacts, u do spend a couple of minutes making sure they fits right, but u get used to it after awhile. Sometimes I forget and I put on my glasses on top of my contacts and go, what the he ll...
biggrin.gif

When an ER6i is fitted properly, I am not able to understand what the TV is saying at normal volume. A very distant, indistinguishable mumble.

I find wearing my ER6i longterm more comfy than an over-the-ears can. Cans, my earlopes becomes sweaty, and feel the pressure on my temples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back