Headphones for my brother, less than 200$
Nov 27, 2004 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

norwegiansnowman

New Head-Fier
My brother wants new headphones for christmas. Right now he is usingt the Koss Portapros, but he wants to upgrade. He plays violin and bass guitar, and is very music interested. He is trying to learn to play bass guitar by picking up things from cd's he listen to. That may be easier with better headphones. They will be used with a variety of sources, but his ipod mini must be able to power them.

I am thinking in the price range max 200$. The hifi-store here in trondheim has only got akg, but we are willing to order from other countries.

By, the way, my brother is 13, and my etymotics don't seem to fit his ears.

Nov 27, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Unamped, at least for a couple of years. Portability is not a very big issue, I think he mostly wants to use his portapros when going outside. But it should be possible to wear them outside, even if he looks like a
3000smile.gif

Nov 27, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 9
so he needs headphones to hear bass really well since he is learning bass guitar?

or something in the full treble to bass spectrum. there are some headphones that have really nice bass but rolled off highs or weak highs and there are those that have amazing highs but weak mid bass or low bass. so is he more interested in the bass or in the violin?

Nov 28, 2004 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lee0539
so he needs headphones to hear bass really well since he is learning bass guitar?

Yup, seems like you have got the point. He listen a lot to rock, some jazz, and seldom a little bit classic music, but the most important thing is that is able to pick up the bass from the rock and jazz cds (he has bought a bunch of Jaco Pastorius cds, among others).

Nov 28, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 9
If you're in Norway (like I am):
The simplest, ime, is actually to order from Meier-audio. I've never done it, though. The headphone shopping I've done lately has actually been overseas. The dollar is so insanely cheap nowadays, so even with the customs and ****, it's still very cheap. And, the packages can always slip through customs without being stopped (that's happened to me. twice
biggrin.gif
). Todd is a great guy, highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back