Headphones for Music Recording
Aug 29, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #31 of 41
Wow, good thing you didn't get grados, your mixes would sound horrible. At this time, grado doesn't make any headphones that should come anywhere near a studio. The M-50 is a great purchase. They are incredibly neutral except that they have a bit boomy, added bass, but if you are aware of this, and get to know how they sound, then you'll be fine.

I don't know what you all are talking about, the DT-150 doesn't have boomy bass at all. They are not bass-lite, but if you want that, I'd recomend a different phone, as there's plenty of bass-lite phones out there. Try a K271.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #32 of 41
k240DF's are no longer produced. It's a shame...they are a lot better than the regular k240S.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #33 of 41
As someone else mentioned, you'll see tons of pictures of professionals using the sony 7506 or V6 - apparently it's some kind of standard. Some claim it results it a better, more tonally accurate mix. To me, they are way too bright and irritating.

Aug 29, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoffW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As someone else mentioned, you'll see tons of pictures of professionals using the sony 7506 or V6 - apparently it's some kind of standard. Some claim it results it a better, more tonally accurate mix. To me, they are way too bright and irritating.

Yeah I agree. They can be fun to listen to with some material and they're not bad, but they do have a harsh, analytical character. A friend of mine uses them to detect signs of edits in his mixes for that reason.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k240DF's are no longer produced. It's a shame...they are a lot better than the regular k240S.

Yep, the DF's are still great for studio use, I hope you'll have a chance
to check out the K-701/2.
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #36 of 41
I hope to get those one day...or the k601. FWIR the 701/2 is a bit more transparent and the 601 a bit warmer. If they are better than my 240DF I will have found my nirvana! Man, do I love the 240DF's!
biggrin.gif

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #37 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GeoffW /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes they are indeed!! I know they get used a lot for tracking, but I hope not for mixing. If you would mix with those your mix would sound too warm and too boosted around the 200hz area, because the v6's are too lean there, and you would be adding warmth where it was really not needed. I know, because that's exactly what I did myself, before I got better hps.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know they get used a lot for tracking, but I hope not for mixing.

Yeah, I've mixed with the 7506 and didn't like the results either. For sub-$100 phones, they have very good detail and bass, but that's about all I can say for them. Very little soundstage, flat, harsh, and bright. Uncomfortable for extended wearing too. But I see some conductors of big complex orchestras use them - you'd think they'd need good cans. But maybe they're just for tracking as you said, or maybe they're just not aware of the better phones out there. I actually got better mixing results with V6's little brother - the V4 (hard to find these days). It has less bass but is more balanced otherwise, and easy to listen to. These days I use my sony CD3000 and always get great results, but I'm sure that would be true for any high end cans.

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know what you all are talking about, the DT-150 doesn't have boomy bass at all. They are not bass-lite, but if you want that, I'd recomend a different phone, as there's plenty of bass-lite phones out there. Try a K271.

Bassyness is one of the criticisms against the DT150, but I've never found it overpowering myself, although it is the part of the spectrum which is the least neutral.

On an LDMKIII, however, certain songs will resonate into boomyness. Hence the mod I posted above. It doesn't remove any parts of the bass spectrum, there is still bass from what sounds like 25Hz and up, but it is much more controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back