Headphones for music production whilst travelling....narrowing it down?
Oct 17, 2013 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

robodelfy

Head-Fier
Hi

I am looking for some studio headphones to make and mix music on whilst Im away.  I use an RME babyface, which ive read also struggles to power some higher impedance cans.

I have been looking in the £200 to £300 range, but I live in the middle of nowhere so cant test any.  Ive called all the shops in london too and they dont stock many anyway, so I can listen to a huge variety anyway which is obviously what Id like to do.

From reading Ive become interested in the Senheisser HD650, the Beyerdynamic DT880, the AKG 701 or 702's.  Ive also been a bit intersted in the Shure range, but not certain which!

I make electronic music, and I would like the headphones to be fairly neutral and transparent, but also happy for them to be a little coloured to keep things exciting in the writing process.  I need a good bass response obviously for the more electronic dance music stuff.

I already own some Senheisser HD25s and some Shure SE535 in ear phones.  But neither are right for my general mixing phones.

I am also considering getting the focusrite VRM box, and hoping this might be a good enough amp to power high OHM cans where my RME babyface is too pathetic!

Any suggestions, or info on  the models Ive mentioned or other models would be hugely appreciated.

Or if anyone knows anywhere in the south of england that i could listen to a variety of headphones, as I cant find anywhere!

Cheers

Alex

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 5
Because you make electronic music if you choose a bassy can like HD650s the stuff you master/mix will sound a little bass light on a more neutral system.  HD600s would be a better choice for mixing they're more neutral than 650s.  I have no experience with that amp but I assume it wouldn't serve the K70Xs with enough power, K70Xs will are pretty bass light so anything you make with those cans will be a little bass heavy.  

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi, thanks for the info

I need a bit of bass and hype in a way to keep things interesting while Im making the music!  But I guess I have my hd25s for that.

From what Ive read the HD600's arent as good as the HD650's in general, but Ive not heard them.

Id love to go to a shop and try them all, but there arent any shops that stock many!

Any more info greatly appreciated

Oct 17, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 5
Shure SRH840.  Pretty neutral, good clarity, fold up, easily powered by a laptop, designed by studio work, very reasonably priced.  All the other headphones you are looking at are colored or skewed one way or another and require a competent headphone amplifier to sound their best (ie none will sound great out of a laptop or other low powered amplifier).  If you are doing music production on any of those, like others have said, you are going to end up with mixes that sound off.  

Use those other headphones for music enjoyment, not production. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back