Headphones for music production / mixing
Jun 27, 2009 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AronBas

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a pair of HD 25s which are fine for DJing but feel they are some what lacking for music production / mixing.

I am looking for a pair of reference cans. So far the AKG 701/702s having been popping up frequently in my search. If I go with these will I need a headphone amp or will my m-audio FW 410 do the job?

My budget is 1000 Euros for both headphone and amp.

Any info would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I should add the music I produce is dance / chill-out if that is important

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AronBas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of HD 25s which are fine for DJing but feel they are some what lacking for music production / mixing.

The HD 25s are perfect for music production - especially for recording and listening to detail (they were not designed as DJ headphones originally).

So don't reject them out of hand. You will still find them very useful.

However, I do agree that you also need good open headphones as well for editing and mixing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AronBas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking for a pair of reference cans. So far the AKG 701/702s having been popping up frequently in my search. If I go with these will I need a headphone amp or will my m-audio FW 410 do the job?

My budget is 1000 Euros for both headphone and amp.

The AKG K701s do pop up often on pro forums for this use, the others I'm not allowed to say
wink.gif

You will find this article useful:- Mixing on Headphones.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Ooooh dont mention K701s, olblueyez and Uncle Erik will be right on you. They have a reputation for changing the soundstage, which wouldn't be good for mixing.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 15
AKG k701/2
BeyerDynamic DT880pro

I've read around that Beyer880 have got the Genelec signature sound...

And power them with some worthy, well-built and POWERFUL solid state amp.
icon10.gif

I believe Audio Technica to be too much coloured for a pro use...

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edoardo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG k701/2
BeyerDynamic DT880pro

I've read around that Beyer880 have got the Genelec signature sound...

And power them with some worthy, well-built and POWERFUL solid state amp.
icon10.gif

I believe Audio Technica to be too much coloured for a pro use...

If you like the Genelec, the new series 8XX. You will find the Ultrasones very interesting.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyerdynamic DT 48, these headphones are built with "music production" in mind.

They excel as monitoring headphones, but won't be the best for mixing tracks with ample bass.. At least, according to one owner..

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 15
hmm... off the top of my head here's a couple of possible candidates
1) AKG K701/2 - one of the most accurate headphones I've heard, need some juice though
2) Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - non fatiguing sound and accurate enough great for mixing and cheap (relatively)
3) Beyerdynamic DT 150 - legendary monitoring headphones, built like a tank and sounding very natural with sufficient bass
4) Sony MDR-CD900ST - not heard these yet (can someone who did please chime in?); built specially by Sony Music Entertainment (NOT Sony Electronics division) for monitoring purposes in their studios

Users who are viewing this thread

Back