Headphones for MP3 player
May 11, 2007 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

deadagain6591

New Head-Fier
i need to buy some headphones, i want to get something cheap, $20, $25 absolute max, if i can get noise canceling it is a plus, I'm an audiophile but i don't have the money to pay for a very expensive set, they will mainly be used to listen to rock and acoustic music

May 11, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 19
koss ksc75 hands down. The best cans for under $20-$25..

May 11, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 19
At least for comparison purposes, also see whether you can find Koss PortaPros within your price range -- an alternative to the clip-ons, should you want a set of 'phones with a headband (collapsible and highly portable ... somewhat geeky looking in photos, but they look OK when you're wearing them ... surprisngly good sound).

I have a pair of Koss PortaPro 2's, which are less expensive than the PortaPros -- I believe the only difference is that the pads at the temples aren't adjustable on mine.

The Koss KSC75's are the bang-for-the-buck kings on Head-Fi, but the clip-ons might not suit you (some people who wear glasses don't like the clip-ons as much as others do, for example).

PS: Welcome to Head-Fi -- sorry about your wallet!

May 11, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least for comparison purposes, also see whether you can find Koss PortaPros within your price range -- an alternative to the clip-ons, should you want a set of 'phones with a headband (collapsible and highly portable ... somewhat geeky looking in photos, but they look OK when you're wearing them ... surprisngly good sound).

I have a pair of Koss PortaPro 2's, which are less expensive than the PortaPros -- I believe the only difference is that the pads at the temples aren't adjustable on mine.

The Koss KSC75's are the bang-for-the-buck kings on Head-Fi, but the clip-ons might not suit you (some people who wear glasses don't like the clip-ons as much as others do, for example).

PS: Welcome to Head-Fi -- sorry about your wallet!

a simple headband mod will solve this...a durabrand fm radio from walmart cost $5 and comes with a pair of cans. you can use the headband with the ksc75 and keep the fm radio..
less than $25 overall...best bang for the buck imo..

May 12, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 19
Koss KSC75, JVC HAFX33, Senn PX100, Creative EP630.

May 12, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 19
At your budget, you have three choices:

Koss KSC75: best-sounding (by far), second-most portable, well-known for sounding great with your music preferences

Sennheiser HD201: second-best sounding, not all too portable, most durable, somewhat isolating

JVC FX-33 (Marshmallow): worst-sounding (still sounds good), ultra-portable (it's a canalphone), moderately isolating

May 12, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 19
You're right! I keep forgetting about the PK3.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #13 of 19
What kind of MP3 player do you have? If you have an MP3 player that has poor output power (like the Sansa e200 series) than even the best headphones in the world will sound like crap without extra amplification.

I got the Koss KSC-75's and they are awesome on my home receiver and computer but they sound like crap on the Sansa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back