Headphones for movies and isolation
May 11, 2014 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

sdcii00

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!
This is my first post and I am actively seeking a pair of headphones.  I have been doing a decent amount of research and I am a newbie to purchasing headphones.  I am looking for headphones that will decently block out outside noise of my wife watching her TV shows in the same room as me watching a movie or some other program on my computer or iPad.  Silly, I know.  I am not sure if I will want noise cancelling headphones or not.  Good sound quality for the movies I am watching is definitely important, along with isolation to block out outside noise and keep whatever I am watching inside the headphones, obviously.  I want something comfortable for long use, both something that does not cause too much pressure and something that is not too hot on the ears.  My price range is around $300 and under.  I have been looking mostly at over the ear (circumaural) headphones, but not on the ear (supraaural), but am not opposed to other options, including in ear.  Lastly, I would like the headphones to have a detachable cable since after long use, when problems arise, they typically are from the cable.  These would mostly be used at home but would probably occasionally bring them on any trips I would go on, which is not too often.  [Side note: As I mentioned, I will be using these primarily for movies but I may on occasion use them for music where I listen to rock music.]  Any information and recommendations would be helpful!  Below are bullet points on what I am looking for:

1. good movie sound quality
  2. isolation and possibly noise cancelling
  3. open to style (over ear, on ear, in ear) but think over ear may be best
  4. comfort for long use (not too much pressure or get too hot)
  5. detachable cable
  6. around $300 or less

Thanks!
Steve

May 11, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Doesn't have a detachable cable, but the AKG K550 has a very big soundstage for a closed headphone (a plus for movies) and good deep bass extension. It's also 32 ohm, and thus very easy to drive with portable devices.

May 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply!  Ok, so now you got me looking into AKG.  Haha.  The K550 and K551 do not have detachable cables but the K545 does.  How would the K545's compare since they have a few difference.  Also, I see K272 HD.  Is the K550/K551 still the best choice when considering the things I mentioned in the bullet points above (comfort, sound quality for movies, isolation)?  Below are some specs:

K550/K551 ($233 and $330 on Amazon)
12-28kHz freq range
114 dB sensitivity
32 ohms imped
200mW max input power
connected cable

K545 ($250 on Amazon)
10-25kHz freq range
97 dB sensitivity
32 ohms imped
50mW max input power
detachable cable

k272 HD ($152 on Amazon)
16-28kHz freq range
104 dB sensitivity
55 ohms imped
200mW max input power
connected cable

May 11, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Here is a comparison between the K545 and K550: http://www.head-fi.org/t/688329/akg-k545-review-k550-s-little-brother-isn-t-so-little

May 11, 2014 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Good review.  Thanks.  I have run across another headphone and wanted to know your thoughts, or anyone's.  How would you compare the Nad Viso HP50 with the AKG's we're talking about?

May 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 8
I have not heard them. But Tyll at Innerfidelity has reviewed them both in depth:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/wonderfully-competent-akg-k550-sealed-headphone
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/i-love-these-headphonesthe-nad-viso-hp50

May 12, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 8
I have decided on the NAD VISO HP50s and ordered a pair on Amazon last night.  Would an amp be a good addition to the headphones?  If so, where should I start on that venture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back