Headphones for monitoring sound with a camera
Apr 8, 2005 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

olsonbock623

New Head-Fier
I am looking into getting a pair of headphones that will be used with a prosumer video camera - probably a panasonic dvx100a - to monitor sound. I would also like to be able to use those headphones with my ipod mini. I know these are two different functions and I would be better off with two different sets of headphones, but my budget is around $100, so could somebody recommend a pair that would do a decent job both for monitoring sound with a camera in the field and also be used for regular listening with my ipod? I am considering the mdr-v6 from what I have read. Looks are not a huge factor, but something not too bulky or akward looking would be preferable if I am to wear them around with my ipod.

Apr 9, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 3
Last semester, I used a Panasonic DVX100A to film a student movie (the camera was rented from the school media lab). The headphones that were packed with the camera were the 7506's. They did a very good job at monitoring the mike audio. They roll up into a small bundle and have that curly cable so it doesn't dangle all over the place. I also tried them out with my iPod and they sound very good. I also own the Sennheiser 280's. Similar to the Sonys but roll up into a bigger ball and have better isolation. The downside is they are very uncomfortable and in my opinion, don't sound good with music (too flat).

Apr 9, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 3
For sound monitoring I'd also recommend the MDR-V6. They may be too big for the iPod mini, I mean the portability factor is lost. I'd go with the V6 for the cam and listening to the iPod at home and would get a pair of inexpensive earbuds such as Sennheiser MX450 for trully portable setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back