Headphones for monitoring and mixing
Apr 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

magiccabbage

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys 

A friend of mine is looking for a headphone for monitoring. I have a pair of HD280 pros and i have suggested that he take a look at those. His budget is between 100 - 300 dollars. I had a look on the headgear section on this site but there does not seem to be a [size=11.818181991577148px]drop-box[/size] for [size=11.818181991577148px]monitoring,[/size]
[size=11.818181991577148px]the closest is closed-back.[/size]

Maybe you guys have could help. What other cans do you think he should consider? 

Thanks 

Paddy

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 4
  Hi guys 

A friend of mine is looking for a headphone for monitoring. I have a pair of HD280 pros and i have suggested that he take a look at those. His budget is between 100 - 300 dollars. I had a look on the headgear section on this site but there does not seem to be a [size=11.818181991577148px]drop-box[/size] for [size=11.818181991577148px]monitoring,[/size]
[size=11.818181991577148px]the closest is closed-back.[/size]

Maybe you guys have could help. What other cans do you think he should consider? 

Thanks 

Paddy

Hey  Paddy, 

I do mess around with Ableton and Logic and I have found that my fav cans for mixing are the same cans I like to kick back and listen -- but then I think I listen when I relax the same way I listen when i mix (OCD). Since, I assume you friend does not wonna drop the $$$$ on HD800, i would suggest AKG Q701 or K 702 anniversary edition. Used these cans can be had for quite a bit below MSRP. The reason I like these cans is because they are super revealing and IMO that's the most important thing your HPs can give you when you are mixing. You wonna hear the details so you know what you're putting down. But that is me, and others may have other priorities. 

Actually, having said that, I think it actually matters the kind of music your body is playing with and the type of sound he likes his masters to have. I love working with HD800. The recordings come out with a bit more bass, but only just a bit more, and since i know that, I can control for it if I don't want as much. 

Anyway good luck! 

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 4
  Hey  Paddy, 

I do mess around with Ableton and Logic and I have found that my fav cans for mixing are the same cans I like to kick back and listen -- but then I think I listen when I relax the same way I listen when i mix (OCD). Since, I assume you friend does not wonna drop the $$$$ on HD800, i would suggest AKG Q701 or K 702 anniversary edition. Used these cans can be had for quite a bit below MSRP. The reason I like these cans is because they are super revealing and IMO that's the most important thing your HPs can give you when you are mixing. You wonna hear the details so you know what you're putting down. But that is me, and others may have other priorities. 

Actually, having said that, I think it actually matters the kind of music your body is playing with and the type of sound he likes his masters to have. I love working with HD800. The recordings come out with a bit more bass, but only just a bit more, and since i know that, I can control for it if I don't want as much. 

Anyway good luck! 

I have the HD800 myself. I was kinda scared to suggest them because of their price. I will inform him about the AKG though - thanks

Apr 5, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 4
And btw, if your friend is looking for closed headphones he needs to try AKG k550. They really are a bargain for what they offer. Only thing is that some folks with smaller heads don't get a good seal and complain about lack of bass. I personally never had that issue. For ur reference, adjustable baseball hat fit me perfectly when I align the snap strips in the back in a way that each peg goes through a hole.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back