headphones for mixing
Jan 29, 2008 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

schmeng

New Head-Fier
before you ask, yes, i have monitors that i mix through but i want a pretty decent pair of headphones to mix through (ie. have a fairly flat frequency response) for a few reasons
1. the acoustics in my room suck ass
2. with my current schedule, i do alot of mixing at night; and
3. its always good to listen through different sources to get a good balanced sound

i've been looking into AKG K701's but i'm not sure if the headphone amp on my mbox 2 is powerful enough for these babies and i dont wanna fork out that much cash to discover i need to fork out even more for a decent amp
alternatively i could just go for something simple like Sony MDR-7509's but i'm not sure what the curve on those ones is like

any thoughts or ideas guys?

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 8
k271
HD280
k240
HD25
DT770
DT880
Sony V6
MDR-7506

And that pretty much covers the widely used studio monitors. My rec is for the 240/271 or the 7506 because they are tough as nails and you need a studio standard. The HD25 are fine, but are not comfy for long use. The v6 is just hard to come by.

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by schmeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before you ask, yes, i have monitors that i mix through but i want a pretty decent pair of headphones to mix through (ie. have a fairly flat frequency response) for a few reasons
1. the acoustics in my room suck ass
2. with my current schedule, i do alot of mixing at night; and
3. its always good to listen through different sources to get a good balanced sound

i've been looking into AKG K701's but i'm not sure if the headphone amp on my mbox 2 is powerful enough for these babies and i dont wanna fork out that much cash to discover i need to fork out even more for a decent amp
alternatively i could just go for something simple like Sony MDR-7509's but i'm not sure what the curve on those ones is like

any thoughts or ideas guys?

I would say it is worth the fork out, those are great cans. I think their advantage over most pro monitors is that they are musical and immensely revealing. The other advantage is that they are a reasonable 62 ohm load and have very little if any dynamic compression. Get an amp that can drive them and not only will you have something you can mix with, but also something you could actually listen to and discern music with.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 8
This seems to be a pretty good article on the topic from Sound On Sound magazine last year:

Mixing On Headphones

From a caption in the article: "If you want to create headphone mixes that translate well to loudspeakers, using high quality headphones models like Sennheiser's HD650 and AKG's K 701 (shown here) will help you judge bass and spatial detail more easily."

I think some folks here are confused between which headphones for good for tracking (when one primarily requires isolation to hear a part or monitor mix during the recording process) and good headphones for creating the final mix (when one needs a relatively flat and revealing set of cans to produce a mix that is best for a variety of playback situations.)

You are thinking about the latter requirement.....or did I misread the question?

Here's another pertinent article on the topic:

HeadWize - Article: Thoughts And Processes As Relating To Mixing With Headphones by LXH2

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 8
I think it's worth considering Ultrasone Pro 650 or 750s for critical mixing. S-Logic makes for a very differentiated soundstage, and helps visualize the mix without too much weird coloration of the field. And they're both closed, so they work well for tracking too. Delightful phones after burn-in. Mine sound great right out of the headphone out from my Motu Ultralite...

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by schmeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont they have a big bass boost?

Are you kidding? The K270 Studio is rather light on bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back