Headphones for Mixing and Recording?
Oct 20, 2005 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FilmMxMan

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am a film composer looking for a set of phones for about $200-$300 for mixing and recording. I am using Digital Performer and various synthesizers. I am looking at phones that have the flatest freq. response, and of course excellent sound. Suggestions please? Thanks

FilmMxMan

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I think IEMs suit your need. They are called In-Ear MONITORS for a reason
600smile.gif
. For $200 - $300 you can search the forum for Shure's "E3c", Etymotic's "ER-4B", "ER-4S" to start.

Oct 20, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5
I think IEMs suit your need. They are called In-Ear MONITORS for a reason
600smile.gif
. For $200 - $300 you can search the forum for Shure's "E3c", Etymotic's "ER-4B", "ER-4S" to start.

you probably dont want the ER-4B, as they are equalized for binaural recordings, not stereo (however, the ER-4s is designed for stereo). but as far as the IEM's go, the etymotic er-4s is very articulate (detail is what they are known for) and have a pretty flat freq response.

there are several caveats to IEM's though, one being that you have to stick it way in your ear, which 1) for many isn't nearly as comfortable as a full-size, and 2) isn't as convenient/easy if you need to take the headphones off and on frequently.

IEM's may work for you, but i wouldn't count out a full sized headphones either. you just have to find the right one.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 7
Beyerdynamic DT250/250. Maybe slightly on the warm/bright side, but not overly so. Very well behaved across the whole frequency range.

Oct 20, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 7
I would look into obtaining some used Sony SA-5000 through the for sale forum. These would make excellent monitoring headphones in my opinion as you will hear everything in the recording. They are not the flattest headphones, but you have to spend a whole lot more to achieve a flat freq. response in headphones (UE10, HP-2, R10, etc.).

Nov 16, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 7
To my ears,the sound of er4s is good,but it's lacking some "energy" as:
No punchy bass,vocals are not outstanding from the background,& the mid-highs are a bit thin etc.
All because the 5-8khz downfall.

Anyone who uses foobar & er4s(or 4p+s cable) can do a test himself,
Use the EQ in foorbar,incress 1 or 2 points at 6khz and 10khz & see the difference,
the sound should be more alive after this tweak.& this sound characteristic is very close to er4b.

I had used 4p+s cable for half year,now my gig is 4b & Xin's sm3 pre-power comb(v6+v3),
the sound is just incredible, outclass my 650+equiox in almost every aspect,
the bass of 4b is powerful,very deep,vocals are full of vitality & high is even better than before.
etysmile.gif

FYI,the sibilance of a brandnew 4b may too much,
but after break-in(about 100 hours),all problems will gone
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm going to go against everyone's advice and say pickup a pair of Sony V6 or 7506 headphones. The problem that i have with some of the suggestions is that they can often sound too good (or obscure) and that can very well mask any deficiencies there might be in a recording. The sony's throw everything out on the table and you easily point out any problems with a recording. Plus, their sonic signature is easy to grasp and it will never fail your ears once you get accustomed to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back