Headphones for METAL!!!
Sep 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

ToXxic360

New Head-Fier
Howdy, I sold my PS3 and i have about $300 and i want to pick up a new portable audio setup. right now i have some bose in-ear phones and they are alright, but i want to upgrade to something nice.. I've been looking around and so far the Athm50 sounds like the best bang for the buck and i was wondering what you guys thought. i was also thinking about getting an amp/dac for the headphones too. Also i pretty much only listen to Metal, so i don't know how much of a difference audiophile headphones will make compared to the ones i have already.
Thanks alot for your opinions,
Rick James

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 35
since u hv 300 bucks.. go for the Ultimate ears Tf10's + a fiio e11 and if ur willing to go for a cable upgrade.. still ur welcome.  but if u only wanna spend 300 buks only for the headphone  their are much more options.. 

vSonic Gr07
Westone 3 - if u love to have sm bass in ur music
Etymotic er4pt - if u love details and resolution over bass                   

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 35

Quote:
since u hv 300 bucks.. go for the Ultimate ears Tf10's + a fiio e11 and if ur willing to go for a cable upgrade.. still ur welcome.  but if u only wanna spend 300 buks only for the headphone  their are much more options.. 

vSonic Gr07
Westone 3 - if u love to have sm bass in ur music
Etymotic er4pt - if u love details and resolution over bass                   

If you were willing to shell out $50-80 more I would like to put the shure se535 out there as an option but Sylaw would be better to advise here? I used to use these while working out and listening to metal and much much more heavier stuff. It was fun, nice bass and distorted guitars and vocals in the midrange were splendid. I'd recommend IEMs over closed headphone for these sorts of portable enviroments even if you decide to use it in an office setup. But some don't like sticking these things in their ears... But IMO the shure se535s were significantly better sounding than my ATH-M50. Those TF10s would be great as well since I think they are significantly cheaper than the 535s (plenty of comparison threads in this forum if you want to check them out)....

So you will have to tell us what do you want? More bass? Isolation? No IEMs (since your 2 suggestions have been closed back cans)? Do you need DAC as well as amp? High-rez capability(24/192)? Do you want Ipod DAC bypassed (if you want to use with an Ipod)? 

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:
I was also thinking about a pair of sennheiser 25-1's and then save up for a fiio e17 amp/dac, would that be a good setup?

I dnt think a HD25-11 would work here... at least for metal.. any ways its ur call . but considering its very small sound-stage and Huge bass quantity ; i hated it..  it doesn't have much of a transparency..  try grado sr125 , or the  Beyerdynamic DT150 ( Its not a looker though ;P)

and tell us do u want cans or IEM's

a random question as well .. what kind of metal do u list to?? so i can get a proper idea.. 

If you were willing to shell out $50-80 more I would like to put the shure se535 out there as an option but Sylaw would be better to advise here? I used to use these while working out and listening to metal and much much more heavier stuff. It was fun, nice bass and distorted guitars and vocals in the midrange were splendid. I'd recommend IEMs over closed headphone for these sorts of portable enviroments even if you decide to use it in an office setup. But some don't like sticking these things in their ears... But IMO the shure se535s were significantly better sounding than my ATH-M50. Those TF10s would be great as well since I think they are significantly cheaper than the 535s (plenty of comparison threads in this forum if you want to check them out)....

So you will have to tell us what do you want? More bass? Isolation? No IEMs (since your 2 suggestions have been closed back cans)? Do you need DAC as well as amp? High-rez capability(24/192)? Do you want Ipod DAC bypassed (if you want to use with an Ipod)? 

Hehe ...

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 35
i think the vsonic gr07 mk2 are truly great for metal.
most of my music is rock and metal and i haven't heard yet better iem for this kind of music.
they don't need amp. one powerful pmp as the cowon j3 or the hisound rocco p will do the job.

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #8 of 35
I'm addicted to metal as well. I was in the same quandary as the OP some months back when I was shopping for a pair of iems for portable use. I had almost decided on buying the TF10 but by a very very lucky chance and thanks to Sylaw, I was able to get a Westone 4. Though my initial ownership hadn't been smooth (left channel didn't work), I was lucky to have some warranty left and Westone replaced them for me free of cost. They've been working fine ever since and I love them! The details that these things bring out has to be heard to be believed! Bass is dependent on the tips and the seal. Once you get a good seal, there's some finely textured and detailed bass to be enjoyed. It's never excessive, but it's not as bass shy as some Etys either. Mids are its strongest point- smooth, liquid and immensely likable. Highs are again greatly dependent on the tips and the seal. Drums sound realistic, textured and never becomes a boomy mess. Guitars sound crisp and full of definition. Those solos will never be the same for sure. Bass guitars sound awesome too- with the right tips, I could literally sense the strings being plucked in a good recording. Instrument separation is awesome. Easily the best investment I've made in my audio setup. Do give them a try.

Less expensive options would be-

1) The TF10. When I had asked here for a recommendation, the near universal vote was for the TF10. An unbeatable bargain at less than $200 imho. What does it go for these days? $150? Fit can be a caveat as the shells are big. Try them out first.
2) JVC FXT90. Came across as quite highly recommended. Heard that these dual dynamics make distortion guitars sound beautiful. I was also on the verge of buying one after the deal with the TF10 fell through.
3) Vsonic GR07. Widely said to be the gold standard when it comes to reproduction of drums.
4) Westone 3. More aggressive than the neutralish sounding W4. More of a V-shaped sound curve- more bass and highs. Must be great with rock and metal. The sound should be greatly dependent on the tips and the seal like the W4 as both of them seem to share the same shell.

As for amplification, I'm in a sort of dilemma too as to just get a better source (maybe a Clip Zip and rockbox it or a Galaxy S3) or to buy a headphone amp/dac like the Fiio E7/17. Does the Westone 4 benefit from amping?

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:
I'm addicted to metal as well. I was in the same quandary as the OP some months back when I was shopping for a pair of iems for portable use. I had almost decided on buying the TF10 but by a very very lucky chance and thanks to Sylaw, I was able to get a Westone 4. Though my initial ownership hadn't been smooth (left channel didn't work), I was lucky to have some warranty left and Westone replaced them for me free of cost. They've been working fine ever since and I love them! The details that these things bring out has to be heard to be believed! Bass is dependent on the tips and the seal. Once you get a good seal, there's some finely textured and detailed bass to be enjoyed. It's never excessive, but it's not as bass shy as some Etys either. Mids are its strongest point- smooth, liquid and immensely likable. Highs are again greatly dependent on the tips and the seal. Drums sound realistic, textured and never becomes a boomy mess. Guitars sound crisp and full of definition. Those solos will never be the same for sure. Bass guitars sound awesome too- with the right tips, I could literally sense the strings being plucked in a good recording. Instrument separation is awesome. Easily the best investment I've made in my audio setup. Do give them a try.

1) The TF10. When I had asked here for a recommendation, the near universal vote was for the TF10. An unbeatable bargain at less than $200 imho. What does it go for these days? $150? Fit can be a caveat as the shells are big. Try them out first.
2) JVC FXT90. Came across as quite highly recommended. Heard that these dual dynamics make distortion guitars sound beautiful. I was also on the verge of buying one after the deal with the TF10 fell through.
3) Vsonic GR07. Widely said to be the gold standard when it comes to reproduction of drums.
4) Westone 3. More aggressive than the neutralish sounding W4. More of a V-shaped sound curve- more bass and highs. Must be great with rock and metal. The sound should be greatly dependent on the tips and the seal like the W4 as both of them seem to share the same shell.

As for amplification, I'm in a sort of dilemma too as to just get a better source (maybe a Clip Zip and rockbox it or a Galaxy S3) or to buy a headphone amp/dac like the Fiio E7/17. Does the Westone 4 benefit from amping?

Good to hear that ur enjoying the w4s.. :)   by the way w4's do benefit from amping..   but i wouldn't recommend u any fiio   products if u want to see a day & a night difference.. but if u be able to get a "Head-stage Arrow 4G " ull realize what I'm trying to say..  it really opens up the w4's full potential.. mids become very crispy & the mid bass Vail vanishes.. + it gives a JH16 like a feeling ( a personal opinion though) .  get a cowon j3 or a Ipod classic and hook with a "head-stage" totally Worth it..

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 35
I would prefer headphones however if sound wise and money wise i wouldnt have a problem getting in-ear's.
Also, i listen to PanterA the most for sure but i also listen to, Thrash metal, Heavy, Death,black, pretty much all of it besides deathcore haha.
Basically i don't care what the setup is made up of, i just would like the best sound quality and comfy-ness for the money i have, I don't know much about Headphones and the like because all of my money until now has gone into my turntable setup lol. as long as it sounds better than the Bose ie2's that i am using now ill be a happy camper :)
thanks for all of your guys' input btw.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 35
I would prefer headphones however if sound wise and money wise i wouldnt have a problem getting in-ear's.
Also, i listen to PanterA the most for sure but i also listen to, Thrash metal, Heavy, Death,black, pretty much all of it besides deathcore haha.
Basically i don't care what the setup is made up of, i just would like the best sound quality and comfy-ness for the money i have, I don't know much about Headphones and the like because all of my money until now has gone into my turntable setup lol. as long as it sounds better than the Bose ie2's that i am using now ill be a happy camper :)
thanks for all of your guys' input btw.

Hooray for deathcore buddies! You should visit the Metal thread here sometime, although I mostly just lurk.  And why hasn't anybody recommended Grados for you yet? Some of the best rock cans available. But they don't really isolate...at all. I also didn't see a budget there. 

Quote:

Try the Sony hybrids, they're my favourite tips for the W4s. You'll have to grab spacers from a Comply or Shure Olive to get them to fit though. The W4s are lovely, the best of my portables, but a bit too warm and thick (not really thick, but thick for faster metal). TF10s would do better if you can get a fit, OP.

Quote:
Good to hear that ur enjoying the w4s.. :)   by the way w4's do benefit from amping..   but i wouldn't recommend u any fiio   products if u want to see a day & a night difference.. but if u be able to get a "Head-stage Arrow 4G " ull realize what I'm trying to say..  it really opens up the w4's full potential.. mids become very crispy & the mid bass Vail vanishes.. + it gives a JH16 like a feeling ( a personal opinion though) .  get a cowon j3 or a Ipod classic and hook with a "head-stage" totally Worth it..

Can't really get much improvement for the W4s with my Fiio E10, but neither with my DAC1. These aren't that power-hungry, probably the most sensitive of my IEMs. I do recommend something with a low output impedance, as higher impedance stuff makes the W4s sound wonky, and become adverse to slight changes in the sound signature. Something like the O2 (or the Leckerson, I'd imagine) would be clean enough. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #13 of 35
So looks like Tf10's are being recommended the most, what over the ear headphones would you guys recommend?
my ma told me that I actually have $50 more than I thought, so if there is anything under $350 that is amazing id be willing to shell out the dough.
If i did decide to go with the Tf10 i would still have a bit of money left over so would you guys recommend an amp for them as well?
I also saw a pair of Westone 3's on amazon that looked pretty gnarly, would these be good for metal? and are they actually worth $350?
 sorry for all the newb questions haha.
If You guys would recommend an amp it would be awesome if it had a sound balancer thing because I have fluid in my left ear so i have to put slightly more volume in the left for it to sound equal,
thanks.

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:
So looks like Tf10's are being recommended the most, what over the ear headphones would you guys recommend?
my ma told me that I actually have $50 more than I thought, so if there is anything under $350 that is amazing id be willing to shell out the dough.
If i did decide to go with the Tf10 i would still have a bit of money left over so would you guys recommend an amp for them as well?
I also saw a pair of Westone 3's on amazon that looked pretty gnarly, would these be good for metal? and are they actually worth $350?
 sorry for all the newb questions haha.
If You guys would recommend an amp it would be awesome if it had a sound balancer thing because I have fluid in my left ear so i have to put slightly more volume in the left for it to sound equal,
thanks.

Coming to over the ear phones, I would strongly recommend you to check out the Grado lineup. Rock and metal are the calling cards for most Grados. I use an SR60i for listening at home- tight punchy bass after burn in, smooth mids and sharp highs. Do try them out first if you can because these things have a huge caveat- they're open eared. Sound leaks out and gets in quite easily. Also, the cable is pretty hefty and long so portability can be a possible issue. Some folks do not like these cans as they sound aggressive and bright (but that makes them hugely enjoyable for metal). So, if you can live with these issues, the SR60i, SR80i and the Alessandro MS1i are stellar choices. Can't go wrong with them for this genre.

I'm not sure about whether the TF10 would benefit from amping. The W3-s look gnarly to you because of the braided cable, right? That cable's pretty awesome- it's reinforced with the stuff that's present in ballistic vests (aramid, I think) and it has nil microphonics (the thudding sound that you hear when an iem-s cable hits your clothes or skin while walking/exercising) and memory character (that means that the cable doesn't retain the kinks and knots- so no more messy cables). I would still recommend you to check out the TF10-s in person if you can first. If the fit is not an issue, it's a no-brainer.

From what I've read, the Fiio E7/17 (not sure which one) had the panning option you were talking about. Not sure about any others that have this function.

Quote:
I cannot stress enough how awesome the GR07s are for metal, and unless you really need closed cans, check out reviews and impressions of the Alessandro MS1i for full-size.

I concur. My uncle who was a drummer in a local band in his yesteryears has an MS1i and after listening to them for a week, I think that the MS1i sounds more balanced than the SR60i. Guitars sounded sublime and the vocals were great too. I would have bought one instead of the SR60i had I known about them before pulling the trigger on the 60-s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back