headphones for metal?
Jan 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #16 of 26
Then you will want closed portable headphones.

FWIR...

I would consider these:
- circumaural: Audio-Technica ATH-M50
- supra-aural: Beyerdynamic DT235
- ear buds: Koss KE29S

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrooms /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a zune hd, and usually listen on the bus or outside. Circumaural is preferred. Any suggestions?
edit: forgot to say that my budget is under $100.

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #17 of 26
LOL nice bump sokolov91
tongue.gif
. If you listen to metal, you really shouldn't care about how much it hurts to listen to it, it's the pain that inflicts on others that matters haha >:] I wonder if OP has chosen a headphone yet?

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL nice bump sokolov91
tongue.gif
. If you listen to metal, you really shouldn't care about how much it hurts to listen to it, it's the pain that inflicts on others that matters haha >:] I wonder if OP has chosen a headphone yet?

I love my metal, but I NEVER use my Grados for it. Especially anything with "chrunchy" distortion, if you will. Sure it sounds in your face, but it is in your ears... making them bleed. :p

In all seriousness I don't even really use Grados with rock in general much. They can do some alternative and classic rock quite nicely. But they are more suited for less congested, and less treblee music IMO.

Many headphones just create a wall of sound when it comes to metal, so they aren't the only culprit, but the small soundstage and colouration really do not help with this genre.

Pain inflicted to others through metal:

People who find metal unbearable, unless its really bad blackmetal, they are just not really listening to whats there. I'm sure anyone could like metal, though not all. But not liking it on the basis its loud, and fast, and maybe the guy screams is pretty ignorant. Judging a book by its cover, done by the people most likely to quote that saying :p.

I work as a head coach at a local pool in the summer, and I will tell you, over produced music, with no timbre or dynamics, autotuned and lyrics that Forest Gump would pen, "Popular Music" to a large degree is just as offensive initially to someone who actually appreciates music, and knows how to listen, as metal would to someone who loves Miley Cirus.

Metal is offensive people people don't have a capacity or willingness to appreciate it.
The vast majority of Pop, hip hop, rap etc are offensive because they are a waste of my precious ears and simply have no depth,integrity, culture, or creativity.

Much like fine wine to cheap wine: you can get drunk on both (means to an end), but only one is truly enjoyable.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #19 of 26
IDK why so many people are complaining about Grado's. "It is too uncomfortable to wear", "It makes my ears bleed", "It is too bright". I never had any of these problems. Sure, it was uncomfortable for the first month or so but after that the bowls were fine. People at my school look at me weird when I say I listen to metal. They are all a bunch of...cry babies? Shouldn't say the real word on here. They instantly think metal is a bunch of untalented men screaming as loud as they can into the microphone. Thing is, barely any metal is that. Maybe 10% at the most. More like 5% though. It takes a LOT of skill to play the guitar like they do. Just look at Alexi Laiho. Sure, he can't sing all that great, but damn look at him play the guitar. Funny how people say they are untalented when they listen to rap themselves. All it seems to me is talking into a microphone, rhyming each sentence to the next. No drumming or guitar skill needed. But I guess everyone thinks differently. Sure, I think rap is a waste of time but I do not discriminate people for listening to it, where as I get looked at weird and thought of differently because I listen to metal.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

The vast majority of Pop, hip hop, rap etc are offensive because they are a waste of my precious ears and simply have no depth,integrity, culture, or creativity.

It's great to find others think this way too! I get told it's just me being elitist if I don't appreciate these blands of music
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Metal is offensive people people don't have a capacity or willingness to appreciate it.

Lol. I guess it could be said of pop and rap music too; people don't have a capacity to appreciate these either?

Seriously though - the Sennheisers HD25 Mark IIs are my favourite portable headphones for metal music. The closed back and isolation platform really helps, so it enables you to listen to screeching guitars continuously at lower volumes compared to open headphones.

The Ultrasone Pro 900s are just new on my list: these are incredible and just so unlike any closed back headphone I've ever heard. The soundstage is the best I've heard (Pro-Surround Sound Logic) which gives a 3 dimensional sound stage effect. Grados don't even cut it when compared to the sound platform of the Ultrasones. These little babies have alll the depth and vigour for metal music without becoming tiresome: you can listen to music on average at 15% softer volumes saving your ears according to their literature. Regardless, if you can audition a set, go for it!

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #21 of 26
I got the ALO-780 and they're great for metal. Dunno how compared to Grado's as I sold my SR-225 before I got my ALO-780. The PRO 900 are probably better than these ALO-780, but looks as though they have a lot more bass and treble. May be fatiguing for me and will sound a LOT different from Grado RS-1 which I plan on buying soon. It would take me a while to accustom to each sound signature when I switch headphones. I am also guessing the PRO 900 are a lot more revealing, making them poor choices for the metal that I listen to, which most of it is badly recorded, especially Lamb of God.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

I am also guessing the PRO 900 are a lot more revealing, making them poor choices for the metal that I listen to, which most of it is badly recorded, especially Lamb of God.

I was worried about this too - a lot of the classical music I listen to, has been recorded from 78 Shellacs in mono
smily_headphones1.gif

This morning, listening to Myaskovsky's String Quartet No. X, recorded between 1981-1983, there is a background hiss in the quiet passages. This is a very vigorous and lyrical piece and emotionally rapturous - metal music it is not
biggrin.gif
Apart from the hiss, the expansion of the sound track transports the listener to a live chamber room with the instruments being played all around. The incredible resolution of the bad recording artifacts are so minor compared to the gains from the Pro 900s. With great recordings (or anything after 1990
smily_headphones1.gif
), they are even better.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #23 of 26
i listen to hardcore deathcore and grindcore. through my ipod and grado sr80i with no amp and its amazing. agressive in your face, and great clarity and detailing.
check them out.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's great to find others think this way too! I get told it's just me being elitist if I don't appreciate these blands of music
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol. I guess it could be said of pop and rap music too; people don't have a capacity to appreciate these either?

Seriously though - the Sennheisers HD25 Mark IIs are my favourite portable headphones for metal music. The closed back and isolation platform really helps, so it enables you to listen to screeching guitars continuously at lower volumes compared to open headphones.

The Ultrasone Pro 900s are just new on my list: these are incredible and just so unlike any closed back headphone I've ever heard. The soundstage is the best I've heard (Pro-Surround Sound Logic) which gives a 3 dimensional sound stage effect. Grados don't even cut it when compared to the sound platform of the Ultrasones. These little babies have alll the depth and vigour for metal music without becoming tiresome: you can listen to music on average at 15% softer volumes saving your ears according to their literature. Regardless, if you can audition a set, go for it!

It could be said, but the fact that they are using a roland midi machine to make their music, and in the case of rap and hip hop cannot sing or even rhyme properly 90% of the time, it is null and void. :p

There is no complexity to escape me when it comes to those genres. There is, however, a sea of god awful music, that all sounds the same, to drown me in.

Sure there will be stand outs, and not all of it is horrible, but most of it is ear AIDS.

In the case of rap and hip hop, I would even go so far as to say it is borderline not even music. There is no musicianship, and thus no music. Atleast electronica artists have to compose complexe stuff... BOOM TICK BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM TICK BOOM BOOM is not.

the following image is in no way supposed to be racist. It is just a very funny, and very true demotivational photo. The same can be said for many genres, however.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IDK why so many people are complaining about Grado's. "It is too uncomfortable to wear", "It makes my ears bleed", "It is too bright". I never had any of these problems. Sure, it was uncomfortable for the first month or so but after that the bowls were fine. People at my school look at me weird when I say I listen to metal. They are all a bunch of...cry babies? Shouldn't say the real word on here. They instantly think metal is a bunch of untalented men screaming as loud as they can into the microphone. Thing is, barely any metal is that. Maybe 10% at the most. More like 5% though. It takes a LOT of skill to play the guitar like they do. Just look at Alexi Laiho. Sure, he can't sing all that great, but damn look at him play the guitar. Funny how people say they are untalented when they listen to rap themselves. All it seems to me is talking into a microphone, rhyming each sentence to the next. No drumming or guitar skill needed. But I guess everyone thinks differently. Sure, I think rap is a waste of time but I do not discriminate people for listening to it, where as I get looked at weird and thought of differently because I listen to metal.

I thought that when I first got them. I just find they are a hassle, even at home, and particularly bright... And I am not alone. You even have to be careful how you pick them up and put them down, so you don't twist the cables going to the drivers! for the 350 I paid for them some creature comforts should be included!

They are not horrible in terms of comfort (even if they are probably the least comfortable headphones I have ever put on.), but they are hardly ideal for extended listening periods. Extended use for me is a doubly annoying because they hurt my outer ear, and fatigue my ears after a while. I do not consider myself royalty and can live with a bit of discomfort, but I have literally had to stop listening because the pain was enough to bother my listening experience. If you find them fine, GREAT and be happy. I like them for specific genres but they are far from my do it all can... very limited soundstage and brightness really make them rough for metal IMO. Do you really listen to Bodom on them? Ears of steel you have, sir.

I could never imagine myself going out in public with them... They are far to delicate and do not stay on the head particularly well.

While grado's style is classic, it is pretty self defeating. I doubt people care enough about the old school look for the sacrifice in comfort and practicality...

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1!!!!

I just don't get hip hop and rap at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back