Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution / Doom metal
Apr 21, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #16 of 35
Evoken Atra Mors is worth a listen to on the D7000 and LCD2! Bass certainly shines there. I'm in dire need of an all round metal headphone right now. I'm very much interested in the Oppos and have a Grado Bushmills on the way.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #17 of 35
  Evoken Atra Mors is worth a listen to on the D7000 and LCD2! Bass certainly shines there. I'm in dire need of an all round metal headphone right now. I'm very much interested in the Oppos and have a Grado Bushmills on the way.

You already have one of the most exciting all round metal headphones - Fostex TH600. Are you looking for something more portable?

Posted a summary on experience on different metal subgenres here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #18 of 35
I want something with more complete mids. The TH600 is the best of my few, but its a bit thin as far as the mids go for my liking with metal.

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #19 of 35
Please share your impressions after arrival of Grado Bushmills!

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #21 of 35
I'm going to have to throw this out there.....UE 6000, are awesome for any type of metal....especially for the price, they can't be beat...are there better ones, of course, but I listen to these constantly for all types of metal

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #22 of 35
Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI

Untouchable. Listen to Koloss (the band, not the Meshuggah album) or Rorcal and get back to me. You'll understand. 

Apr 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #23 of 35
Oh boy, your tempting me there with all the PH6 hype man...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
  Please share your impressions after arrival of Grado Bushmills!

Well compared to the RS1 which I believe you too have heard, the Bushmills is darker and bassier. Its kind of trending toward the PS500 in bass if not even more kick. The mids are full and robust, but the treble is a bit softer than almost all other Grados. The bass is the most extended I've heard from Grado. With the jumbo pads you can make it have a larger soundstage, but at the cost of bass and added brightness. Stock pads, the soundstage is small like the SR60 or 80 but better defined with better imaging.

With metal I find it to have a nice fat tone for guitar, and the added bass makes heavier stuff like Gojira, Solitude Aeternus, Bolt Thrower etc that bit more weighty and satisfying. It sounds pretty quick, but not as clean and proper as the RS1.

Apr 29, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #24 of 35
I started to post cross-genre notes on headphones in my summary metal/headphones post.  
http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

Am I going in right direction? May be it could be more interesting  to see in-depth notes on some subgenre (i.e. Death, Black, Thrash…) in a way it’s done here?

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #25 of 35
I'm going to have to throw this out there.....UE 6000

Added to wishlist. Some entry-level headphones review (CAL, Senn 449, Rimix 408) is on the way.

Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI

Untouchable. Listen to Koloss (the band, not the Meshuggah album) or Rorcal and get back to me. You'll understand. 

Looks tremedously interesting. Got to find out more about them, will be grateful for links on reviews relevant to metal listening.

Well compared to the RS1 which I believe you too have heard, the Bushmills is darker and bassier. Its kind of trending toward the PS500 in bass if not even more kick.

So are they more like sealed PS500 or sealed RS1?

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #26 of 35
Different to both. The PS500 has weaker upper mids and a treble spike with stronger bass. RS1 is mid oriented with weaker bass and more treble. The Bushmills is mid range oriented with a weaker treble and stronger bass.

Treble amount

RS1 > PS500 > Bushmills

Mid Forwardness/fullness

RS1 > Bushmills > PS500

Bass amount and extension

Bushmills > PS500 > RS1

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 35
I listen to a ton of doom/sludge and I absolutely love my 325i's. I'm really surprised you didn't like the grados at all 

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #28 of 35
  I listen to a ton of doom/sludge and I absolutely love my 325i's. I'm really surprised you didn't like the grados at all 

I have first revision of 325, not "325i" or "325is", but "325", as far as I know later revisions were significantly better.
And I am big Grado enthusiast actually, currently I have 125, 325, PS500, RS1i and GS1000 ))

Different to both. The PS500 has weaker upper mids and a treble spike with stronger bass. RS1 is mid oriented with weaker bass and more treble. The Bushmills is mid range oriented with a weaker treble and stronger bass.

Looks like profile for great metal headphones!

May 6, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #29 of 35
New additions: Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO (250 om), Grado GS1000, Beyerdynamic T1, Bowers & Wilkins P7, TDS TDS-7 (Snorry mod), TDS TDS-7, Creative Aurvana Live!, Ritmix RH-508, Sennheiser HD 449, TDS TDS-15, Audio-technica ATH-AD700

Also considerably expanded my summary metal thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution)

Sennheiser 650, Sony CD3000, Beyerdynamic 880, 250 are in my hands and on their way to table. Final Audio Design Pandora Hope VI and AKG 712 are bought and shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back