Headphones for metal music (Symphonic/Gothic/Female Front) and rock (paramore, etc). Full Size.
Aug 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lestatdi

Head-Fier
Hi everyone!
Another topic from me...

Im looking for the BEST Headphone for metal genre (Epica, Within Temptation, Amorphis, Moonspell, Tristania) and "light" rock (something like Paramore, Icon for Hire, The Material, Lost Prophets, Hoobastank).
I listen sometimes Metalcore too (All That Remains, Dreamshade and The Unguided).

Im using a pair of Sennheiser HD650 with O2+ODAC but im feeling that there isnt enought "energy" for this kind of music. Sometimes i think my old ATH-M50 sound better for that genre. I really like some bass in my music (the amount of the M50 is perfect for my taste, and the Vmoda M100 has a lot), so things like Q701 wont satisfies me.

So, what should me make happy forever, lol?

- Shure SRH1540
- NAD VISO HP50
Philips Fidelio X1
- Denon AH-D600
PSB M4U
- Bowers and Wilkins P7
- Fostex
- Audeze
- Beyerdynamic
- HifiMan (afraid of too much brightness and sibilance)

Denon, Fidelio, Shure and HifiMan are easier for me to buy because im in Brazil atm, but i can manage other brands if necessary...

Ty for all the help! I really love this forum!

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #3 of 14
  - NAD VISO HP50
Philips Fidelio X1
- Denon AH-D600
PSB M4U
- Bowers and Wilkins P7
- Fostex
- Audeze
- Beyerdynamic
- HifiMan (afraid of too much brightness and sibilance)

Ty for all the help! I really love this forum!

HP50 - a great, warm, detailed closed can. Mids>bass>treble for a darker sound. These are a very safe go-to can.
X1's - could be a little too slow and dark for you. They are a very warm, engaging can (in the movie theatre kind of way), but not my choice for speed or for high energy music.
PSB M4U - nearly the same as the HP50 but a tad more neutral.
Fostex - speed, awesome, wet bass, open sound, fun and sparkling treble... the TH600 should be seriously considered.
Audeze - most expensive of the lot listed. Planar drivers are quick, and the house sound is dark, so depending on your tastes of treble balance, these could be a 'love or a hate' kind of thing for you.
Hifiman - again, planar speed. The HE-400 is quick as the devil, so I'm sure the others in the line up are too. That's the only one I've tried, though.

Also, perhaps the AKG K712 or K612 could work for you, they're supposed to be less thin sounding than the Q701. The Q701 is also super quick and full of detail, and the bass mod can help round out the sound more. Everyone's ears are very different, especially in low-treble ranges, so one really has to try out as many cans as possible to figure out what they can and can't stand. I don't find the Q's shrill, sibilant, or peaky, just bright.

My thoughts on the subject.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4 of 14
  HP50 - a great, warm, detailed closed can. Mids>bass>treble for a darker sound. These are a very safe go-to can.
X1's - could be a little too slow and dark for you. They are a very warm, engaging can (in the movie theatre kind of way), but not my choice for speed or for high energy music.
PSB M4U - nearly the same as the HP50 but a tad more neutral.
Fostex - speed, awesome, wet bass, open sound, fun and sparkling treble... the TH600 should be seriously considered.
Audeze - most expensive of the lot listed. Planar drivers are quick, and the house sound is dark, so depending on your tastes of treble balance, these could be a 'love or a hate' kind of thing for you.
Hifiman - again, planar speed. The HE-400 is quick as the devil, so I'm sure the others in the line up are too. That's the only one I've tried, though.

Also, perhaps the AKG K712 or K612 could work for you, they're supposed to be less thin sounding than the Q701. The Q701 is also super quick and full of detail, and the bass mod can help round out the sound more. Everyone's ears are very different, especially in low-treble ranges, so one really has to try out as many cans as possible to figure out what they can and can't stand. I don't find the Q's shrill, sibilant, or peaky, just bright.

My thoughts on the subject.

Wow, thanks for all the info!
I must say that im looking for something not too dark (my HD650 is dark enought), so ill take off Audeze from my list.
My list is something like this right now:
1- VISO HP50
2- Shure SRH1540
3- Denon AH-D600 (because its price, EU$ 135,00 at ebay)
4- AKG K712Pro (ill looking some reviews right now)

I dont feel totally confortable with a non Detached cable Headphones, so, ill give up Fostex for now.

Sorry for my bad English, lol!

Aug 19, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 14
I would echo the HE-400 suggestion. If the sonic signature of M50 was more to your liking (despite it's limitations in soundstage and resolution compared to your current headphones), the HE-400 are really nice and a great value right now.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 14
Well, lets try to eliminate some headphones from the list then, ill try to write what i understood from the reviews ive read:

- HifiMan HE-400 - Fast, agressive and great bass but otherwise a fatigate sound signature (too much spike, i believe?)

- HifiMan HE-500 - Didnt read much about it yet but looks its very bass light for my taste.

- Shure SRH1540 - Closed, premium build, fast, agressive and nice quantity of bass. Looks a perfect metal can, but in this topic didnt get very well in the OP opinion, what makes me worried - http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

- Denon AH-D600 - in the metal topic this cans did very well. I think it would be too much bass for metal/rock (like the Vmoda M100). But because its price im really interested in buying.

- AKG 712Pro - Never listened an AKG before. Im afraid it would be bass light for my taste but the reviews really like them.

- Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog - I think its too much neutral, isnt it? But looks like a nice headphone

- Fostex TH600 - Due the non detached cable, it makes me stay away from them.

- NAD VISO HP50 - Much neutral again? People likes a lot this can...

- Bowers and Wilkins P7 - Didnt read a convincent review yet.

I think the top of the list is
1- Shure SRH1540 + Denon D600
2 - AKG 712Pro + Denon D600
3 - Only HE400 or HE500

Please, could someone post more opinions?

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 14
I think you should read this review of the HE-400: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

I don't find it fatiguing either. It's just a bit brighter than some of the other headphones in its price range that are rolled off in treble.

Aug 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 14
I think you should read this review of the HE-400: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

I don't find it fatiguing either. It's just a bit brighter than some of the other headphones in its price range that are rolled off in treble.

And what about the HE500? Seems less harsh and sibilant than HE400. Im just afraid its would be too light bass in comparison to HE400 or M50.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 14
I owned the HD600s but sold it to get HD650...
IMO hd600 was too bass light.

I focus more on bass quality than quantity (not that the HD650 sucks in that regard - far from it); for me as long as I can hear the bass guitar, is well controlled (dum-da-dum-dum-dum as opposed to dwooom-dwaaa-dwoooom-dwooooom-dwoooom), doesn't get in the way of the guitars, and the bass drum does a solid "THUD!" I'm good.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 14
 Would someone opinies, please? I have to buy on this week!

"And what about the HE500? Seems less harsh and sibilant than HE400. Im just afraid its would be too light bass in comparison to HE400 or M50."

The only think ive decided its ill buy the Denon D600. I cant decide about HE400, HE500 or maybe the SRH1540 or AKG712Pro yet, lol!
Im more about the HE500s...

Aug 24, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 14
The new HE400i is more capable than all of those except HE500 (and I haven't heard SRH1540). Sorry I don't have time right now to give up a comparison but I'll say this: it has drive, warmth, and body. I think you'll like it. Best luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back