Headphones for me under $200
Dec 27, 2011 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

PomPWNius

500+ Head-Fier
Hey I am just starting to become a full on audio geek :p. My first choice was an IEM, the etymotic HF5. I got them a week ago hahah, and I love them! Now I am researching some full sized headphones for when I am listening to music at home (which I realised is about 99% of the time :p). I want something with really big soundstage, coming from IEM's I want something very different lol. I know open headphones have superior soundstage to closed, but I am worried about how people can hear whats playing. How bad is that? Is it like, someone could put their ear on the outside of one of the 'phones and hear at the same volume that you are? I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD 558.  I don't like the  3 meter cable but I know most of these cans will be having that, and its not really a problem... just annoying for what I will be using them for.  So yeah, big soundstage, they should be comfortable... not really a big deal,  I just need to be able to wear them for over a half hour at a time.  Under $200, preferrably around the $150 range, unless there is something thats like 3 times better for maybe say $215 or so. 

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 31
Which kind of music you listen ?

HD598 is a very good headphone like HD558 but more refined, detailed and with a better build.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 31
I knew I was missing something in my description! I listen to rock. Think Rise Against, Breaking Benjamin etc. I like  very detailed vocals. I like to be able to hear the singers breaths.   Yeah I was looking at the HD598 but I just cant get over the (In my opinion) ugly look.  If its really worth it I will get those, I mean, look really doesnt matter at all.

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 31

Quote:
I knew I was missing something in my description! I listen to rock. Think Rise Against, Breaking Benjamin etc. I like  very detailed vocals. I like to be able to hear the singers breaths.   Yeah I was looking at the HD598 but I just cant get over the (In my opinion) ugly look.  If its really worth it I will get those, I mean, look really doesnt matter at all.

Maybe grado's?

Dec 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 31

Quote:

HD598 is better than HD558 but not much. HD558 has slightly more bass.

If you want very detailed vocal and big soundstage HD598 is a must have in your price range.
Sr325is is also excellent for rock, but more expensive and more tiring.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #8 of 31
Also hows the durability on the 598? I need it to last a year and a half to 2 years. How would the sound compare, to, (I know they are very different but it is all I have to compare it to) the Eymotic HF5.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
Also hows the durability on the 598? I need it to last a year and a half to 2 years,

For home no problem. Its a HiFi headphone not DJ.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 31
For durability the 598's have a reputation for the plastic 'frame' suffering from cracking, no? Also, where are they for under $200? I'd been looking at B&H Photo as they are so much cheaper than Toronto (598's are listed at $500 up here!) and B&H ships up here. Everywhere else they seem to be ~$250.  I think I'd seen a set of Senny 600 refurbs at Dakmart for $208 but decided I was leary of that site.

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 31
Thanks for the link. Apparently sennheiser changed the headband material on the 598's :D

Hi Headstar,

We've changed the material of the headband of the HD 598. You may bring in your HD 598 to the nearest Sennheiser service centre together with your receipt / proof of purchase and they'll provide you with a replacement unit.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back