Headphones for Max Bass
Apr 10, 2010 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Frequen C

Head-Fier
I have a confession: I own many high end headphones over $200+ but I always seem to be listening to my $70 skullcandy skullcrushers which sound awful, but I like the head-thumping bass it brings out in my bass-heavy metal music. As we all know that metal is mainly mids and highs, which the skullcrushers fail in.

Is there a pair of headphones with tight, skull-vibrating bass with detailed mids/highs under $150 msrp (it must be msrp because I refuse to buy online).

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770's, would those be good? Thanks!

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frequen C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a confession: I own many high end headphones over $200+ but I always seem to be listening to my $70 skullcandy skullcrushers which sound awful, but I like the head-thumping bass it brings out in my bass-heavy metal music. As we all know that metal is mainly mids and highs, which the skullcrushers fail in.

Is there a pair of headphones with tight, skull-vibrating bass with detailed mids/highs under $150 msrp (it must be msrp because I refuse to buy online).

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT 770's, would those be good? Thanks!

Yes, the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or the Sennheiser PX100's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 14
The DT770's have ridiculous bass. They would be perfect if you can afford them.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 14
If you want stupid amounts of bass, and I do mean STUPID amounts of gut wrenching bass the likes of which would make some people ill then pick up a pair of RadioShack AUVIO CH102 "Retro Stereo Headphones."

Oh, and they're not boomy at all just ridiculously aggressive in the bass department. More so than almost any full-sized can I've ever heard.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slntdth93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sony MDR-XB500 and XB700 have ridiculous amounts of bass. But mids and highs suffer quite a bit

Owned the MDR-XB500 and the Auvios have more intense bass for sure.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 14
i'd recommend the dt770/80 or the xb700.

m50 has great bass, but not in the sheer amount of massive bass from something like the xb700.. m50 is probably all around better than the xb700 though, imo

dont judge anything from numbers/graphs, but this paints a little picture for you:
graphCompare.php

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 14
I have the XB700 and a pair of pro 750. The XB700 definitely have MORE bass... but it is really excessive. The pro 750 have quite a bit, but it is more punchy, than massy/bleeding. The ultrasones will give you a concussion...the XB700 will give you a nice massage.

The ultrasones, overall, are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the XB700... but for what you are looking for they might be the perfect headphone.

Denon D2000 and Ultrasone pro 750 are headphones you really want to consider...

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 14
The DT770 are nowhere near neutral, and on that level have lots of bass. If you are looking for something like the Skullcrushers, but with better mids and highs, you're kind of SOL. The DT770 will have much better mids and highs, but the bass, though powerful, likely won't have the same quantity as your Skulls; I don't know what headphone would.

On another note, the Skullcrushers don't actually have real bass, more just rumbling noise, so although there would be less quantity, the quality would be greatly improved.

What it comes down to is whether its worth it to you to spend so much money on 'phones to greatly improve the overall sound quality, or if you'll just go back to the Skulls anyway. I'm sure you would like the 770, but it may take a little time for you to get used to them before you would.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the XB700 and a pair of pro 750. The XB700 definitely have MORE bass... but it is really excessive. The pro 750 have quite a bit, but it is more punchy, than massy/bleeding. The ultrasones will give you a concussion...the XB700 will give you a nice massage.

The ultrasones, overall, are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than the XB700... but for what you are looking for they might be the perfect headphone.

Denon D2000 and Ultrasone pro 750 are headphones you really want to consider...

I agree. The Pro 750's have a very nice bass but I think the HFI-780's have more though it's definitely more uncontrolled compared to the 750's. The 750's have a more refined sound. The 780's are the bassiest phones I've tried so far. I've tried the Dt770's and didn't really care for them. That doesn't mean they aren't good. The sound sig just wasn't for me. I would rank bass on the D2000's 2nd to the 780's and 750's. I feel they are more well rounded than the D2000's though. You can find the 780's and 750's pretty close to your price range. It really depends on what type of music you listen to though. What are your favorite genres?

Another suggestion would be the M50's which I hear sound fairly similar to the D2000's.

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 14
I have the Denon D2000 and a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900.

The Pro 900 definitely have way more bass, both in overall balance (a negative because the mids suffer) and depth (a positive because it is very full sounding).

Apr 15, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 14
Well I got my D7000 yesterday... It definitely goes deeper, and with more authority than even my Pro 750, but the Pro 750 is really punchy. It is a different presentation. The D7000 are the only headphone I have heard that gets the low rumbles properly, but without a good source and an amp it is a moot point. It also seems to be very power hungry, so you might want to reconsider Denon for your purposes.

For "skull vibrating bass" go for a pair of pro 750.. they can be had for 200$ and are more balanced than the pro 900. Both are more detailed than the DT 770 from what I have read.

GL

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 14
Get a pair of good headphones and just EQ them..

The A700's that I own lack bass, but with some +7 or so db added to the bass frequencies and they will shake on your head, nice headphones will produce the sound they're fed. The worst thing you can do is buy headphones that have headache producing bass, and no way to turn that down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back