Headphones for live recording
Nov 3, 2020 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

garage_logician

New Head-Fier
I am hosting a podcast and need a pair of headphones for monitoring the mix during the production (and post, if it needs editing). The podcast is anywhere from 2 to 7 participants, so something with a bit of isolation would be nice. I thought about the DT770's but decided I might want to spend more if I could get a set of headphones that would not only work as monitors but for some general listening too.

It has been a long time since I have bought any headphones, but my absolute favorites are a pair of Denon AH-D5000 (Mahogany cups, 7000 maybe?) that I just love. I would like to get a pair of headphones that have some decent bass, similar to my Denon's. You may wonder why I don't just use the Denon's and it is a good question. The reason is that the headphones I use for the podcast take a lot of abuse. Our studio is mobile so while I may use them in my home studio one day I might use them at a park, or a coffee shop, or whatever the next. I would rather not risk my Denon's to damage and/or abuse.

Maybe the DT770's are the best for my needs, but if there is something else I should consider I would welcome suggestions and opinions.

Thanks!
-g

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #2 of 6
The Audio Technica M series, or Yamaha's studio monitor line, would potentially be somewhere else to look.

Nov 3, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 6
If you are willing to pay more for a DT770 with the sound qualities of a Denon Dxxx series, then look at the Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro 250 ohm for home/studio use or a Drop Beyerdynamic DT177x 32 ohm for portable/OTG use.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I am leaning towards the DT1770 Pro, although I am concerend about the low end. I am not a basshead, but I would like the lower extension and punch that I get with my Denon AH-D7000. Maybe the DT1770 has that?

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 6
The DT1770 is between the Denon D2000 and D5000 in bass impact, but better than both in terms of bass quality. I have only heard a Lawton Audio D7000, or LA7000, which is just a highly modded Denon D7000, so that is too much out of the stock sound. The Tesla drivers are between regular dynamic and planar-dynamic drivers, where impact (quantity) and quality are rather high and rather level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back