headphones for kids?
Apr 8, 2005 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lshiroma

New Head-Fier
I find myself frequently on an airplane for many hours with my 2 small girls, ages 5 & 8, and I'm looking for sealed headphones that will be comfortable for their small sizes, but will seal out as much of the plane noise as possible so they can hear their i-pods, computer games, etc.
Sealed, because I would think in-canal's would be uncomfortable in their little ears, especially for many hours.

They will also be using the headphones for i-pods when not on planes. They don't like the ear buds that come with the i-pods--uncomfortable for them. I'd like the headphones to have decent sound, ones they will still want to use when they are a little older.

Tried the Senn HD 280 pro, unfortunately, it's too heavy and uncomfortable for them. Tried a pair of Bose triport that are comfortable on them, but I'm wondering, at the Bose's price, if there is anything else as comfy but with better sound?

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #2 of 20
Sennheiser HD 202? HeadRoom recommends them specifically for your application since they are lightweight, comfortable, and sealed. and for 25 bucks a piece maybe dad can pick up a new toy with the money saved
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by videocrew
Sennheiser HD 202? HeadRoom recommends them specifically for your application since they are lightweight, comfortable, and sealed. and for 25 bucks a piece maybe dad can pick up a new toy with the money saved
very_evil_smiley.gif

+1

Apr 8, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 20
the Sony D22 or D66 Eggos would do a great job for this, in my opinion. they are also significantly cheaper, even when imported from Japan through audiocubes, and have better sound than the Triports. welcome to Head-fi, btw, and sorry about the wallet.

Apr 8, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 20
but careful careful careful please with their hearing!! if the earphones don't get true isolation, the plane noise may provoke them to turn the volume up to high.

Apr 8, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 20
Try the AOpen HP-590, the one with the bass shacker thing. Kids like it, i got one for my nephew hes 11 and he likes the adjustability of the woofer control. It adds some flavor to the say you can play with and keeps them interested. You know how kids like to tweaks things well this one is good. It has a good sound too.

I got my set for $17. off newegg but it looks like they sold out.

Apr 8, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 20
Sennheiser HD25-SP

Reason: Seamingly small, small headband that doesn't look too funny, sits on the ear (supra-aural), isolates very much (passive only) a little less than HD280 in my experience. It isolates much more than senn PX200, although the PX200 is much smaller. IMO HD25-SP sounds better than PX200, although that is probably of little importance here.

List of contenders:
HD25-SP
HD25-1 (bigger headband, might very well be too big)
PX200 (small, light, doesn't offer enough isolation for plane use i would think)
AKG K26P (isolation is about PX200 level)

graphCompare.php

EDIT #many: You can get some cheaper HD25-SP on eBay, the British Airways Concorde editions... that would look cool and you'll get a lot of respect to you having two daughters who have been on a Concorde flight.... better get one for yourself too
biggrin.gif

Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Apr 8, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 20
Make sure that before you buy them they will have enough isolation to block out almost all of the noise, otherwise it will give them a reason to crank up the volume and hurt their ears, escpecially if you are on the plane for several hours.

Apr 8, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 20
I have relatively sensitive ears and almost always use the lowest volime setting (disclaimer), and I don't think that any sealed headphones will block out enough noise from an airplane. The Eggos are nice cans, but there's definitely not enough isolation to block out a conversation, let alone a plane. The Sennheiser HD25s which have a relatively high level of isolation provided better isolation, but it wasn't that great on a plane either. I had to turn up the volume to levels I wouldn't listen to normally. Since most of the plane noise is in the lower levels of the sound spectrum, I'd recommend some sort of noise-cancelling headphones. I've tried the Bose QuietComfort2s and they were just at good at plane isolation as my Shure e2 canalphones. I believe that Sennheiser makes a small, lightweight noise cancelling headphone, the pxc-250 or something along those lines. You might want to look into those.

Bose QC2s are still among the best non-canalphones for airplanes, in my opinion.

Apr 8, 2005 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
I believe that Sennheiser makes a small, lightweight noise cancelling headphone, the pxc-250 or something along those lines. You might want to look into those.

i think this is the best suggestion yet. the senns are a perfect size and weight for young heads, the noise cancellation really works, and the sound is quite good (far better than QC2, IMHO). only downside is that they're slightly more difficult to drive than their non-active cousins, PX100 and PX200. still, the ipod should do a fine job.

Apr 8, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i thought the PX250's electronics unit included an amp?

just NC circuitry, as far as i'm aware. it's power hungry, but the ipod drove it to comfortable volumes at about 80-85%. actually, this may be a good thing, as it will limit the levels at which the children in question might listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back