Headphones for jogging/commuting
Jan 2, 2009 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ttvetjanu

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, After a long period of concidering this (with my poor student budget and all), I decided that I could put out some cash for some jogging/commuting headphones. Basically my requirements are: strong bass response, closed, tight enough to stay on while running (max use ~1 hour at a time, so comfort is not a huge issue), 'portable'-i.e. not huge like hd650's, ath-900's etc. My budget is around 150$, of course I'm very happy if I survive with less. I already have UE-5EB's and ER-6i's that I use for commuting, but neither is very good for jogging, hence the jogging part is the most important part.

I've currently been concidering the AKG K-181DJ's, Sony MDR-7506's, AKG-81DJ's. I've been using the KCS-75's for jogging, but they don't stay on as well as I'd like them to, neither do they quite have the punch I need for my energetic jogging music. In my personal opinion -> Bass punch>Bass quantity, of course a combination of both is very nice when e.g. listening to some energetic metal or Infected mushroom.

I mostly value similar suggestions and personal experience with these headphones in the context of jogging/physical activity. The more mobility they allow, the better (e.g. staying on while doing pushups etc.) I will NOT be using a amplifier.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 11
bumpies
frown.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 11
My .02, I'd probably recommend something easy to use and that you don't have to worry about breaking like some mx460s, mx300s, or cx300s (more pricey option),

Jan 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 11
Commuting with a full sized can, sure, but jogging with one? I'd be afraid to mess up the pads/headband with sweat, especially on cans like the 7506, pleather and all. The AKGs are better choices, but I'd still be iffy with running with them.

I personally think IEMS are best suited for active/workout use; I'm using some cheap Sony in-ear clip ons for the sole purpose of jogging/working out. If you're not a fan of IEMs, I'd take a look at sporty mid-sized cans like the Sennheiser PX series or the Koss Portapro. What'd you think, OP?

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 11
Because of my somewhat wierd ear-canal shape most IEMs are too large for me, I have the ER-6is (they have too much microphonics) and the UE-5EB (they dont stay on too well). PX's are an option, but I'm not sure how well they will stay on.

Quote:

Yuin PK3

Hmm.. I'd prefer to have full-sized.

Quote:

The AKGs are better choices, but I'd still be iffy with running with them.

Why?

Jan 3, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 11
Ah, I see. What else is out there...

Well, both AKGs have pleather pads - Not too sure how well pleather would hold up to constant sweat exposure. I'd like to run with my AT ES7s, but again, I don't think the pleather/heat would feel very good on my ears after a few minutes of jogging (they already get quite hot with normal use). I'd probably look for portables that use foam-cushion like pads like you see on Grados, as they're sweat resilient and easily washable... not too many I can think of at the top of my head at the moment.

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lon420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I see. What else is out there...

Well, both AKGs have pleather pads - Not too sure how well pleather would hold up to constant sweat exposure. I'd like to run with my AT ES7s, but again, I don't think the pleather/heat would feel very good on my ears after a few minutes of jogging (they already get quite hot with normal use). I'd probably look for portables that use foam-cushion like pads like you see on Grados, as they're sweat resilient and easily washable... not too many I can think of at the top of my head at the moment.

Grado's were decent, but they didnt block out too much noise. Perhaps I should invest on some SR60's...

Jan 3, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #10 of 11
I saw a person jogging with a pair of AKG 240something today^^ So, that size is perfectly possible
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 11
It'd be possible, but the pleather AKG pads won't hold up for long. Grados could probably take the abuse, but comfort when running and sound leakage when commuting would be major factors. I was looking around on eBay and found these...

68mm-70mm 2"3/4 headphone EAR Cup pad earpad foam cover - eBay (item 180317844923 end time Jan-07-09 07:01:03 PST)

I'm gonna buy a pair and attempt to fit them onto my ATH-ES7s... I'm pretty sure the pads on them are 68-70mm. They also might be able to fit on the AKGs you were looking at. Not too sure how these foamies will effect SQ, but I figure the ES7s would make a pretty decent sounding active can, minus their hot pleather pads. At 5 bucks, there's not too much to lose
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back