Headphones for Jazz/Classical on a budget ($150-200 range)
Jun 12, 2012 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mollos

New Head-Fier
Hi all, first of all this website has been a really great source of information but I still need your help. I’m looking for my first “better” headphones. I play with a Sansa + and a Fiio E6 and I’m only using self ripped FLAC files. I mainly listen to Jazz, Classical, Soul and Blues. I’m thinking about the following headphones:

1. Shure SRH 840
  2. [size=11pt]Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm[/size]
  3. [size=11pt]AKG K 240 MKII[/size]
  4. [size=11pt]Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

[size=11pt]Ofcourse I’m open to other options. But one of my problems is there aren’t a lot of stores nearby that sell headphones and surely not in this pricerange. So I’m mostly tied to reviews, advices and webshops. At the moment after reading a lot of reviews I’m leaning towards the Shure SRH 840 but maybe I missed something.[/size]

[size=11pt]I’m looking for a headphone that let’s you hear what the artist wants you to hear. I mostly listen at home on the couch or in another quiet enviroment. I’d like to have the least distortion you can get at this pricerange. Clear highs, good mids and a tight, not too boomy bass and good voices. Could you give me an advice what model would be great? Thanks in advance.[/size]

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 4
can only speak for the AKG k242hd (same as the K240 with velour pads) it needs a lot of power, the E6 won't be enough. And it takes on the characteristics of what its plugged into so it can sound quite different very easily. 

Build quality is also not great. but if you amp them properly they way outperform their current price.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Hi all, first of all this website has been a really great source of information but I still need your help. I’m looking for my first “better” headphones. I play with a Sansa + and a Fiio E6 and I’m only using self ripped FLAC files. I mainly listen to Jazz, Classical, Soul and Blues. I’m thinking about the following headphones:

1. Shure SRH 840
  2. [size=11pt]Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm[/size]
  3. [size=11pt]AKG K 240 MKII[/size]
  4. [size=11pt]Audio-Technica ATH-M50[/size]

[size=11pt]Ofcourse I’m open to other options. But one of my problems is there aren’t a lot of stores nearby that sell headphones and surely not in this pricerange. So I’m mostly tied to reviews, advices and webshops. At the moment after reading a lot of reviews I’m leaning towards the Shure SRH 840 but maybe I missed something.[/size]

[size=11pt]I’m looking for a headphone that let’s you hear what the artist wants you to hear. I mostly listen at home on the couch or in another quiet enviroment. I’d like to have the least distortion you can get at this pricerange. Clear highs, good mids and a tight, not too boomy bass and good voices. Could you give me an advice what model would be great? Thanks in advance.[/size]

Any chance you can stretch that budget a bit?  If you look around you can find AKG K701/K702/Q701 for $250 or under.  Used you can probably find it less.  Some may call it a boring headphone ,but for jazz and classical primarily, for that money you could buy something that a few years ago was considered "the best."  It's a dead-flat presentation, excellent bass extension, though lean on bass-presence.  The highs are clear as a bell (can be fatiguing at times).  A very flat analytical headphone; one that I preferred greatly for those genres  to HD650 until I really built out my system for HD650.   At one time it was the equal, both in performance and price point, to HD650, and both, along with DT880 were the flagships.   It's famed for the widest soundstage around, and some have argued that it has too wide a soundstage. 

It's a headphone that tends to like a lot of power, but you could get by on an E6 until someday upgraditis grabs you and makes you buy something a little stronger, like an O2.

It may be out of your range, but I figured I'd mention how close your range is and how well that headphone fits your genres. People paid $500 for it easily back a few years, and getting something "better" meant electrostats like Stax and Orpheus.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Sure I can stretch the budget a bit. No problem. But the problem is I live in the Netherlands, the second hand market on head-fi isn't that big over here and the resell prices in the Netherlands are a lot higher over here. A lot harder to find most of the headphones over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back