Headphones for isolation
Apr 24, 2006 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rcmpcbf

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I have been looking over this forum for the last couple of days to help me decide on a new pair of headphones. I recently got the Koss KSC75 and feel like I need another pair of something even better. I am looking for a good one around $100. Isolation is important for me as I need to block out the surrounding noise in my dorm room. I am considering the Grado SR60 because of its reputation. I am also considering the IEMs (esp. CX300), but I am not sure about them because of cable noises from head movements or brushing against clothing. Could someone please comment on how bad the cable noise is and affect the listening experience of an IEM like the CX300? Please share your expertise on whether an IEM would be better in my situation than a more traditional headphone (and which ones). Thank you all in advance.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #3 of 14
Closed cans like the DT770 are another good option... I just got mine today, and I'm barely aware of work mates talking next to me. Very 'unsociable' cans
biggrin.gif

If I *deliberately* hit the cable I can hear a noise from the vibration carried up to the cup, but there's no discernable noise at all from normal movements, like headbanging
tongue.gif

EDIT - just noticed your budget. DT770 is priced a little high (new.) A500 is an option though. IEMs looking better at this price range, doh.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave al'orange
The SR-60s are wide open and will offer almost no isolation.

What kind of music do you listen to?

Almost everything, but primarily classical, trance, and little hip-hop. Although not music, I also listen to talk radio on the Internet quite a bit.

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 14
I second the K81DJs. In fact, the only reason I didn't hop on recommending them first is because I didn't want to feel too evangelical about them... I'm totally falling in love with my pair, and have already recommended them a few times in the last couple days... like the man says, they're a whole lot of headphone for the price.

Apr 25, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 14
I have ruled out IEMs for now. I have been looking through this forum and saw lots of recommendations for the HD580. J&R is selling them at $150 right now ($50 more than my budget). I would like to know how the HD580 compares to the HD555 or K81DJ. Would the HD580 require an amp for good performance? I will be listening to music mostly on my laptop. All your opinions and recommendations are welcome.

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcmpcbf
I have ruled out IEMs for now. I have been looking through this forum and saw lots of recommendations for the HD580. J&R is selling them at $150 right now ($50 more than my budget). I would like to know how the HD580 compares to the HD555 or K81DJ. Would the HD580 require an amp for good performance? I will be listening to music mostly on my laptop. All your opinions and recommendations are welcome.

The HD580 is open and doesn't isolate at all.

After living with HD580s and MS1s for a few weeks, I still don't find the Sony MDR-V6 horrible. It isolates very well, and I think you can do a lot worse for ~$75 US

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rcmpcbf
I would like to know how the HD580 compares to the HD555 or K81DJ. Would the HD580 require an amp for good performance? I will be listening to music mostly on my laptop...

HD580's would require and amp for good performance. HD555's or K81DJ's would be better suited for listening directly from a laptop with onboard sound. HD555's are open and thus leak a lot and do not isolate much at all. They have an airy laid-back sound with more expansive soundstage than the K81DJ's in my view. Some do prefer the soundstage of the K81DJ's though.

K81DJ's are closed with good isolation and no leakage. They are supra-aural, so they are not as comfortable as the HD555's. The sound of the K81DJ's is more forward and rocks harder than the HD555's. K81DJ's can really bring to light the quality of kicking bass when listening to hip-hop, while not sounding too out of balance and resolving detail nicely for classical and such.

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 14
I second (third? fourth?) K81DJs. I went to all the trouble to replace the plug on K81DJs (8 feet cable was a *bit* too much), and it was labor of love
icon10.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:00 PM Post #14 of 14
Yup, those K81DJ sound like a good suggestion.

Considering your musical taste, you might also like the Westone UM1. They:
- match your budget,
- provide awesome isolation and comfort,
- have virtually no microphonics at all (my MX500 were noisier),
- sound great with those genres you mentioned (I only disliked them with rock/metal, until I could eq them properly), and
- are a bit more versatile if you don't like wearing cans (K81DJ) in public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back