headphones for iraq?
Feb 5, 2005 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Regal1975

New Head-Fier
I am going to be spending a bit of time in the desert very soon and know i will go nuts without good sound so im looking for something that will survive and deliver what i want for a reasonable price.

a few musts...

ear bud phones..i would rather not have them. all that i have had have had the cables rip out at some point or otherwise felt horrible... they have to take some abuse..

no cheapo-style models that just press against the ears.. i will be spending many hours listening hopefully and my ears are spoiled by my current senn cans..

no open models.. as much as i love the idea, i doubt if my roomates will love the idea of hearing my music all the time..

no amps...as much as i love the idea, it is entirely too much to deal with/take with me overseas..

im love the sound my senn hd 575's deliver.. amazing clarity, no harsh overly bright highs and surprising bass... i know this is alot to ask for for a set of budget phones...but i figure if anyone knows they will be here.

Thanks!

Semper Fi

Feb 5, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 20
whats your budget?

$200 ish
ATH-a900
AKG 271
Beyer DT660

$100 ish
ATH-a500
Senn hd280

im sure other can offer more

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 20
First of all, you have my respect and gratitude for the ordeal/adventure ahead.

Now headphones. I would carry both my Beyer DT250-250 AND my Ety ER4S wherever I go. For the times that you need isolation the Etys offer wonderful serenity even when there is high decibel chaos in the near vicinity. The DT250 are more fun, with kickass bass and beautifully balanced sound. They are compact and durable, although they do not fold up. This eliminates a failure mode. The cable is detatchable.

For a source I would choose one of the ipod models for the high power output and the proven durability.

Room for an amp? I am thrilled with the Portacorda-II, especially for the price. Don't forget a line out interface and appropriate cable.

Last but not least, a Pelican or Otter case to fit it all in. I have never been in the military, but on various dive trips these cases have proven impervious against water, sand, being stepped on, and even gasoline spills.

Godspeed.

gerG

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 20
Regal1975...

I'd recommend a Sony MDR-7506. (aka V6)

Full Compass will ship you a pair for $90.00... http://www.fullcompass.com/

I have used these cans in the studio for years and more than any other consumer headphones, they are built to military-quality specs. These things last. Mostly metal construction. Sealed earcups: semi-comfortable leathette. [Not on par with Senn cans though.] Very easy to drive- 24 ohms, I think. They blast even with a cheap Sony Discman. The cord is coiled- won't get in your way- and tough. It terminates to 1/8" for portable audio units. Included is a screw-on 1/4" adapter. It won't fall off by accident. Useful for high-end units as well as professional communications devices in a pinch.

They have a very well-engineered folding hinge that allow you to carry them around in an included leather bag. This is useful for hanging the cans outside a bag or piece of luggage.

This unit is meant for FOH mixers and studio monitoring work. As such, it is harsh and can become fatiguing. But I think you'll find that the compromises in other units in terms of build quality is such that this overly-bright sonic signature is worth living with.

Semper fi. Thank you for serving.

-joe

UPDATE: http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/...296/index.html

And when you call, ask if they have any refurb units in stock. You could save a lot.

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:11 AM Post #5 of 20
The Senn HD 25-1 are strong, sturdy and small for full size headphones. They are NOT circumaural and press on your ears, so this may or may not be an issue. They are easy to drive. They sound great.

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 20
definitely sub 100.. as low as possible..

just looking around at senn and amazon...the hd202s look decent for 20 bux, but they are just too frikking big..
i like the semi in-ear models with a headband like this though ive never listened to this model

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...sf/root/500228

these look interesting as well

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/05207

those sony cans look like they may be a pretty good choice for durability.. but bright highs.. any mods that can solve this??

thanks for all the input so quick guys, youve been a great help so far!

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 20
I agree with Joe on the V6. I dragged mine all over the place for years. They are a good listen, with very gratifying bass. I do not find them bright or fatiguing.

gerG

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #8 of 20
hmm..after reading around on the sony cans.. i think they may be the weiner...still concerned about the brightness issue.. im very sensitive to bright speakers, but perhaps a little padding of some sort can cure that...

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 20
I bought my girlfriend that second pair of Senns (PX200) a year or so ago.

They are partly metal, also fold up, and seem to be fairly sturdy. They come with a hard plastic carrying case, though that is very breakable. It is also sort of a chore to figure out how to fold them up each time.

The sound is muddy, but decent for cheap-ish headphones. Even with the high-emphasis I mentioned, the 7506s are in a different sonic league.

Also, these PX200s won't get as loud as the Sony MDR-7506. They aren't nearly as comfortable, either. The biggest complaint you'd probably have about the PX200 is that, although they look like your ears sit inside them, the cups themselves are actually just an inch diameter or so and have almost no depth to them. I don't think you'll like the feel.

That said, the sound is decent out of a portable player (my girlfriend uses a 4th gen iPod) and the headphones are smaller and more portable than the Sony unit I mentioned earlier. Build quality is probably the best you can find in a pair of headphones that small.

-joe

Feb 5, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_dc
They have a very well-engineered folding hinge that allow you to carry them around in an included leather bag. This is useful for hanging the cans outside a bag or piece of luggage.

Actually I think it is pleather, and it feels pretty cheap.

But I definitely agree with you , joe_dc. I have the MDR7506 and am pretty satisfied with them (although I am saving up for the HD650s). Also the bag is very useful, although I think it feels kind of cheap, it will provide enough extra padding so that I am never worried to put them in my backpack.

Good luck, Regal1975. I hope you enjoy the MDR7506s as much as I do.

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #13 of 20
I'm in Iraq right now. I'd recommend something can be folded, so you can save space with all the stuff you'll be carrying. I have AudioTechnica FC7's.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #14 of 20
Doesn't get any more military-like than this.
wink.gif

No, seriously, though, you have my vote for the Sennheiser HD-25-1 based on what's said about them around here.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 20
Don't Ultrasone make a military look foldable headphone? I'm sure I saw something like that last year. I tried googling but couldn't find what I was thinking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back