Headphones for iPod?
May 7, 2003 at 2:14 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

umm.. the KSC-35s are most definitely not the 'flavor of the month' Read back and you'll see that everyone has been happy with them for some time now.

Yes, quite true. Further MacDef makes the point that they are being discussed because they are being manufactured again.

Quote:

The Eggos, I never really considered a 'flavor' of the month. People just bought them up cause they looked cool. Even Mr. Eggo himself (LTUCCI) has turned his back on the eggo in favor of other cans.

Well, they sound great to me - and I (one of the ...umm... "people") did not buy them based on looks. They simply are more refined to my ear than the Koss cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
The Eggos, I never really considered a 'flavor' of the month. People just bought them up cause they looked cool. Even Mr. Eggo himself (LTUCCI) has turned his back on the eggo in favor of other cans.

Well somehow I doubt for example the people here at head-fi that as far as I know bought quite a few of these are that much into looks when it comes to headphones, so I don't think your theory is that accurate. Of course some will go on and upgrade to other headphones, but to me the D66 at $89 for portable use is really hard to beat.

May 7, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #33 of 46
If you're talking about good looking portables, I was thinking about the audio technica em7's. They're not the best sounding headphones, many complain about the complete lack of bass and there's almost unanimous agreement that the ksc-35's sound better and they're about 40 dollars cheaper. But if you're a tech junkie who's only in it for looks you might want to look them up. They look so great and the ksc-35's look so horrible........they're almost worth it to me.
check them out at audiocubes.com

May 7, 2003 at 3:42 AM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Well somehow I doubt for example the people here at head-fi that as far as I know bought quite a few of these are that much into looks when it comes to headphones, so I don't think your theory is that accurate. Of course some will go on and upgrade to other headphones, but to me the D66 at $89 for portable use is really hard to beat.

ok, you are right. I worded my last post incorrectly. I think for the most part, people bought them sight unseen cause there was this 'aura' about the headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

The D66 is not a value, but I don't need to go there anymore. Remember?

1 eggo = 3X KSC-35

May 7, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

The V6 and Eggos look very comfortable...but they really BIG! I tend to like to walk around with my headphones on and V6 and Eggos are a bit too conspicuous for that even if they sound really good.

I thought the eggos were really small though, even smaller than the pics would have you think. Anyone have a pic comparing the size of KSC-35's to D66's? How about it, stan?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

ok, you are right. I worded my last post incorrectly. I think for the most part, people bought them sight unseen cause there was this 'aura' about the headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

The D66 is not a value, but I don't need to go there anymore. Remember?

1 eggo = 3X KSC-35

And us not living in the U.S. will retort once again with "The ksc-35s are upwards of 60 bucks (more like 80 when customs hits you), and not so much a bargain when compared to the Eggo.

May 7, 2003 at 10:17 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by plainsong
And us not living in the U.S. will retort once again with "The ksc-35s are upwards of 60 bucks (more like 80 when customs hits you), and not so much a bargain when compared to the Eggo.

IMHO, I think the Eggos are worth the same as the KSC35's, even when factoring in the better design of the Eggos.

To me, the Eggos were always a $30-40 pair of headphones. KSC35's still sound better to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

umm.. the KSC-35s are most definitely not the 'flavor of the month' Read back and you'll see that everyone has been happy with them for some time now.

People bought them because they were told they sound good. Unfortunately, the Eggo sound changed (magic, isn't it?) into a bassless muck that resembled stock earbuds!
very_evil_smiley.gif

But to me, they sound very very clear, detailed, and any bass problem is cured by BASS 1 on my DR7. Mind you, I have absolutely NO noise to deal with. I live in a hole.
smily_headphones1.gif
. Portably, forget about bass. It just doesn't happen. Even Mr. Bass himself, the EX70, can't compete.

I'd say the Eggo is an 8800 yen headphone. Too bad it's pretty much gone now. But so, if the Eggo is a US?$30-40 headphone, the D22 is "STOCK EARBUD!
very_evil_smiley.gif
" material?

May 7, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #39 of 46
Quote:

1 eggo = 3X KSC-35

True if you're in the US, for me it's 2x. But too bad I can't combine 2 KSC-35 to sound twice as good as one, since I find the D66 sound quite a bit better than KSC35. And that certainly is good value to me.

May 7, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by myself, aka me
I'd say the Eggo is an 8800 yen headphone. Too bad it's pretty much gone now. But so, if the Eggo is a US?$30-40 headphone, the D22 is "STOCK EARBUD!
very_evil_smiley.gif
" material?

Of course the D22 are like stock earbuds, haven't you been paying attention?
evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2003 at 2:48 PM Post #41 of 46
For an iPod I would go with some Eggo's. Kid next door to me has that same setup and it sounds real good. V6's probably sound pretty good out of there also. I guess I like feeling like I really have a headphone on, and to me, Koss 35's with the clip on just doesn't do it for me. Just a thought

May 7, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #42 of 46
So in conclusion, we discovered that the Eggos and the ksc-35's are in fact different headphones, with different prices, and different sounds and different design and possibly different uses... depending on the users, who are also, we have found, all different.
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #43 of 46
the only headphones i use with my ipod are as follows:

etymotic research er-4s ($270)
koss portapro ($30)
grado sr-200 ($200, but i have a sneaky suspicion that this and the sr-225's are almost identical)

all three sound really great, in fact right now i'm sitting at my workstation and using my ipod with etys. i'm amazed by how great the portapro's can sound considering the low price, they really are great headphones for the money, everybody should have a pair. the grados works great with the flat pads and although the cable is a bit long, i don't have much of a problem using them portably and the sound is pretty great. a big step-up from portapro's but still truly rockin.

May 7, 2003 at 4:54 PM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Considering that the KSC-35 sound closer to the PortaPro than any other headphones, I'm at a loss to figure out how you could rank the PortaPro above the SR80 and V6, but the KSC-35 below. (Not trying to be critical -- it's just that the research methodologist in me is going nuts over that impossible outcome
wink.gif
)

must be my ksc35
just don't like them
to me they don't sound as good as my porta pro's
the sr80's are ranked #1 with my portas because
i love the portas for portable commute
the sr80's leak too much but soung great
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2003 at 7:06 PM Post #45 of 46
If you got the bucks go with Etymotic ER-4p's. Or Studiophonic Heros Platinum 25's. They are the same.

If you don't got the bucks, there is the Etymotic ER-6 and the Studiophonic Gold 20's. Same same again.

And for slightly less bucks, new to the field. The Shure E2c's. I am hearing great things about these little $100 wonder buds. Headroom gives them 4.5 out of 5 phones.

Or if you can't handle the direct link to your brain idea, go with the Sony Eggo's, if you can find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back