headphones for iPod
Jan 19, 2008 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

eximun

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone could help me choose the best headphones for iPod nano. What came in the package is a joke, I've had other mp3 players before and the iPod in general is rather disappointing. Since it's a present and because I like the design I'm going to keep it. Just wondered if someone could suggest something. I listen to jazz, soul and R&B, possibly rock. Need them for portable use. I'm ready to spend as much as 80$. I've shortlisted a couple, no bugs. I'd appreciate help:
AKG K26 P, Sennheiser PX 100, PX200, PMX 100, iGrado (I don't suppose iGrado SR60 is a good choice to go jogging for example). Anything else that I've missed.Thanks a lot.

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 15
I say go with the Sennheiser PX100. I've never been the biggest fan of the AKG K26p and your musical preference leans more to jazz, etc than rock. The Grado line and Koss line of portables work well too, but are better on rock. The more laid back sound of the PX100, i feel, is your best option.

Jan 20, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #3 of 15
AKG 26P and PX200 are of lower quality than the others. Ths PX100 and PMX100 are essentially the same, the PMX100 being behind the head sports style. Both sound very good for their meagre price. The iGrados are also OK - prefer the Senns myself but the iGrados will get plenty of support here as well. Might come down to a style decision as well - do you prefer over the head or behind the head? For exercise the behind the head designs will probably stay on better, but you should check out the fit before you buy as they aren't adjustable.

The other main model which someone will mention are the Koss KSC75s - cheap and sound on a par with these other two. However they are clip ons, which may not be so good for exercise.

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Go with the Koss KSC75.
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go with the Koss KSC75.
wink.gif

X2. For the price, especially since you'll be jogging, go with these. They're the best value for the money

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #8 of 15
From your list, I have the PX100 and 26P ... the 26P have good bass but they become sweaty and clamp down on the ears too much ... the PX100 are nice.

I also have the Koss PortaPro and KSC75 ... both sound about the same and both sound as good (actually better) than the more expensive PX100.

The value on the PortaPro and KSC75 just cannot be beat.

Jan 27, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 15
if you're really gonna run, the ksc55's stay on the head a bit better. They do give me a bit of a headache after awhile, but they fit sooooo much better than the 75s. They sound much different too; I like the 55 more; just wish they didn't give me a headache!!!! I've always had trouble getting the 75s to fit right

The PX100 is also way cool! Super comfy and sounds great. The only problem is the durability of the 1/8" jack. I've found it to not be so durable..... Of course I stuff it in a back pocket of my running shorts when I run, so who knows how the plug is being contorted. Even with my smallish head, they seemed to stay on quite well, even on some steep trails.

The grados are great, but really I wouldn't use them for portable use. The akg 26 is ok, but hurts my head. For a closed cheap can I like the beyer 231; very underappreciated around here and sounds better than the akg 26.

What about IEMs???

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 15
I like the PX100s, but I wouldn't use them for jogging. For active use like that, I'd use some kind of in-ears within your budget. (Not that I would spoil my music by actually running.
wink.gif
)

There have been some good suggestions (the Koss value is most impressive), but does anyone think the Senns and other portable headphones are going to stay on (comfortably, if at all) while the wearer is jogging?

Your post said "no bugs" so I didn't "get" until just now that you meant "no buds." I don't consider canal phones to be the same as standard earbuds, which I despise (but that's just me, and beside the point). Anyway, I'd still recommend a comfortable in-ear that stays in the ear -- standard buds don't, in my opinion. Something like the Sennheiser of Creative canal phones, with comfortable, soft silicone ear sleeves would be versatile and I think more comfortable than even the Koss 'phones if you gave them the chance.

And congratulations on your pretty decent gift ...

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #12 of 15
heck yeah the px 100 stays on ok!!! I've never had a problem except for the jack. When I first tried it I was like "yeah right, like this is gonna stay on!". Surpsingly they did and were waaaaay comfy.

IEMs aren't the best when you're out running; you can't hear anything, microphonics, plus if you're on a trail you're balance is a little off kilter (mine anyways). If you're on a treadmill, then it's fine.... I hated every minute of joggin with my super fi 5 pros and my sony 51 exlps. I'd prefer a bud like an ibud even!

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 15
I was disappointed with the level of volume available from the nano and the classic.

They both drive 32 ohm headphones, but in order to try and get a bit more kick, I stuck with the Sennheiser CX300 which also adds weight to the sound.

The sound via the bottom connector into an amp is fantastic but UK Nanos and Ipods are volume capped which is a bit of a pain when trying to drive decent headphones other than those horrible white buds that sound nasty loud in any case!! The USA ones come with full volume because you they aren't part of the EU and we all have silly laws.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back