Headphones for Ipod mostly, range max 150USD.
Feb 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

BadaJr

New Head-Fier
Hi there.

I listen to music quite a lot, mostly on the move and on the way somewhere in the city(Prague it is). I have had Koss Porta Pro for about 7 years now and I guess I would like to move on. What is bothering me most about my PP(which I do love, otherwise) is that you need to listen music quite loudly if you want to hear details, on the move.

Hence I am looking for overall better headphones (no in ear!!!), which allow me to listen to my music from my Ipod 4th gen. while not bothering everybody else around me(which I found quite often with my porta pro). As well, I would like to reduce the volume I usually use, because I don't want to be deaf...
smily_headphones1.gif
I would like to really improve the quality of my headphones and since I am a student, If I will buy a new ones, I would like to improve recognizably.
Budget probably max 150 USD, but maybe I can do a bit more if the quality is overwhelming.

I am including my music taste at the very end, since I have noticed here it is quite an issue.

I was looking at Audio-Technica ATH-A700 (90 dollars is quite a nice price) or Grado SR80i so far, about which I read good posts here. But I am still quite new here and I am unable to find the post which I need.

I guess I dont want to have an amp, even though I am still not sure I do understands the workings of it.. Maybe later for home use, but not to the city, since I am changing music quite often and even the cable is bothering me enough...

Ideally, I would like to have durable headphones, since the repairing is usually quite expensive and problematic. Here its why I am using porta pro, the lifetime warranty is amazing thing_I have had them repaired like 8 times at least...

Additionally, I will probably use them for watching movies and listening with my laptop while working.

Any recommendation is highly appreciated and I will be very grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Bada

My music taste from Last.fm (User BadaJr):I'm into electronic, ambient, minimal, chillout and experimental, a bit of jazz or classic including:
Alice Russell, Lawrence, múm, Extrawelt, Pantha du Prince, Bonobo, The Cure, Alex Smoke, Boards of Canada, Gui Boratto, Paul Kalkbrenner, Radiohead, Max Richter, Melody Gardot, The Knife, Nouvelle Vague, Sigur Rós, Fat Freddy's Drop, Booka Shade, The Dresden Dolls, RJD2, The Kinks, Gregor Tresher, Elliott Smith, Trentemøller, Bibio, Murcof, Lamb, Regina Spektor, Jaga Jazzist, Gaiser, The Herbaliser, Ellen Allien, Fairmont, GUTS, Jazzanova, The Flashbulb, Susan Tedeschi, Kaki King, Lykke Li, High Contrast, Why?, Blockhead, Gabriel Ananda, The Postal Service, Sascha Funke, Apparat, Lee Jones, Four Tet, Minilogue.

Feb 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 23
There are many threads on this. Some pointers:

1. Low impedance, 32 ohms works fine.
2. Check durability of the product.
3. Headphones? What is you preference and if you don't prefer closed or open yet what kind of sound do you want?
4. Check sound quality.

I'm now using a Sennheiser HD428 on my phone. Neutral, well defined bass and balanced. The HD428 also allows for analytical listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck and check out Head-Fi for the information is abundant.

Feb 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 23
i am also recently on the market for a new pair of ipod phones... i've been using koss ksc-75s but they broke again recently, and while i'll be cashing in on the lifetime warranty, i'm thinking of maybe trying something else in the meantime. If i can get something for around $30 that is a bit more closed and has well defined sound I would def consider that.. i tried to find threads about that but had no luck.. are there any major notable ones or do i just need to dig deeper?

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 23
i'd buy a pair of HD25-1's. they cancel out ambient noise without all the need for all that technology, every part of the headphones are replaceable even the drivers, and i've had mine for 13 years, and they're my oldest headphones, i love them, and you don't necessarily need an amp to drive them well.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Feb 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd buy a pair of HD25-1's. they cancel out ambient noise without all the need for all that technology, every part of the headphones are replaceable even the drivers, and i've had mine for 13 years, and they're my oldest headphones, i love them, and you don't necessarily need an amp to drive them well.

sennheiser hd25, Musical Instruments, Electronics. Great deals on eBay!

13 years? That is pretty cool

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just curious, why no in-ears?

Actually, that is a good question. Well, I am kind of not into it. I have not, so far, encountered ones which would inpress me. And as well not ones, which would feel comfortable. Since finding this forum (recommeded by my friend) I have started to think about it. Do you think, that it is worth considering?
Any recommendation?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many threads on this. Some pointers:

1. Low impedance, 32 ohms works fine.
2. Check durability of the product.
3. Headphones? What is you preference and if you don't prefer closed or open yet what kind of sound do you want?
4. Check sound quality.

I'm now using a Sennheiser HD428 on my phone. Neutral, well defined bass and balanced. The HD428 also allows for analytical listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck and check out Head-Fi for the information is abundant.

Thank you for the reply.

Maybe I am just incompetent
smily_headphones1.gif
, but I tried for quite a long time to search for relevant post for me (ipod, closed, without amp). However, I did not find any relevant post so far, mostly its about in-ear or it ends up recommeding RS-1 (Which just seems pretty fcking amazing, from what I read about them. However, too expensive.).

I would like to invest a bit more than 40dollars on that, since I assume, it will bring me better quality.

I am not really geeky type and hence I dont understand ohms and stuff...
smily_headphones1.gif
And that is mainly why I am asking here, since as I see, you guys know an incredible lot about it...

1. ok....
smily_headphones1.gif

2.How can I? Probably through this forum...?
3. I probably want closed ones, but if some open ones will be kind of ok in a way that they are not playing outside much and allow me quite clear-not distorted listening, I will be pleased. I read that open ones should be better..?
I am not sure, what kind of sound I want. Since I am having the same headphones for all the time, I am afraid I cannot make any real judgment which sound I want. I guess, I like decent bass and want to be able to have clear "behind" details in electronic music. I guess that sounds rather amateurish...
smily_headphones1.gif

4. Well....

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 23
OK, are you now willing to consider an iem?

What about an iem that is 32 ohm and can be driven to very high volumes with even a zen stone or sansa clip and has the ability to have its sound output shaped by changing ports.

Hippo vb (variable bass) available from Uncle Wilson or Jaben .net in Singapore.

The Hippo Vb are ideal first iem as they do not go very deep into the ar canal. They deliver a similar sound to my $2000 floorstanding speekers and have bass kick like a mule on steroids.

They offer one of the best customer support programs of any store.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, are you now willing to consider an iem?

What about an iem that is 32 ohm and can be driven to very high volumes with even a zen stone or sansa clip and has the ability to have its sound output shaped by changing ports.

Hippo vb (variable bass) available from Uncle Wilson or Jaben .net in Singapore.

The Hippo Vb are ideal first iem as they do not go very deep into the ar canal. They deliver a similar sound to my $2000 floorstanding speekers and have bass kick like a mule on steroids.

They offer one of the best customer support programs of any store.

Similar to the VB and slightly more expensive are the Head Direct RE0. Not deep insertion by any means, the stock bi flange tips are almost like earbuds compared to other IEMs. Bass quantity is probably the only weakness as most people do like "boomy," inaccurate bass, but one you get used to it it's a really nice pair of earphones.

Also, you may want to check out the Klipsch earphones, which are known for the comfortable tips. I'd suggest the image X5, as it's currently on sale for $150 at Amazon. I haven't heard them yet but I talked my friend into getting a pair so I should have a decent impression in a week or two.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 23
Used ATH-ESW9............

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by captian73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sennheiser hd25, Musical Instruments, Electronics. Great deals on eBay!

Thank you! I have looked at them before, actually. Its good that they are replaceable. I will consider them as one option.

thnks!

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vorlon1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look into the Audio Technica Ath ES -7.

Thank you.

One of my problems is, that since I am quite often all the day in the city and in the evening I go to have a beer, for instance, I need to put the headphones in my bag and hence I need big durability, or at least some sort of able-to-be-repaired (cheaply) once in a time.

Do you think these or Sennheiser HD 25-1 recommeded before are more suitable for me?

And as I see, I should consider in ear as well...
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back